Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Is e-learning the issue or students' lack of computer skills?

One thing that I notice in my traditional classroom setting is that most students, even adult learners have what it takes to acquire a certain set of skills, provided that they are well explained by the instructor. What some lack, in regards to adult learners, is computer literacy.

Therefore, I am willing to say, that any course can be taught online. The problem will lie in the students' ability to navigate through the computer learning fields.

Some students will probably prefer to have a physical person present to help them when they come to a crossroad. Others, who are computer literate and/or high achievers, are willing to figure it out. That's where good tutorials can come in hand.

LaTunya,

Again, I completely agree with you. I was once asked "Well, then how could you teach someone to build a car engine online?" I believe you could easily teach a person to build anything online. (As long as they were the right student.)

Teya

LaTunya:
If we were to hold computer literacy constant; I am of the opinion that not all courses can be taught on line. I encourage you to review other postings on the Subject for differing opinions on the topic under discussion.
Satrohan

I think that students can learn the same subject with various teaching methods as long as they have the mind set that they are going to work at it and set goals to achieve this. I know that computer literacy can be a challenge but practice with the computer can make them feel more confident and have them succeed in the end. I also believe that there are a variety of subjects that can be taught online and that given the time and the help that no matter what their own literacy level is with the computer they can achieve great things.

Teya:
Let's reflect on the question you were asked. This task is performance-based. Moreover, it involves psychomotor skills. The objective is to build a car online. Here is a question for you.

Question
How would the student, in an online environment, demonstrate to you that they can build a car?
Satrohan

Alanna:
It is my recommendation that institutions that offer courses online should ensure that students who enroll in the courses possess the desired level of computer literacy. By doing this, students will use the total number of hours dedicate to the course to pursue the learning objectives; instead of devoting part to attaining computer skills. Here are two questions for you.

Question 1

Can we teach to the objective below in an online environment?

Given Manual XYZ, learners will remove and replace the transmission of a Toyota Camry 1996 V6 in accordanc with the procedures described on Pages 19 to 32 within three hours, with zero error tolerance.

Question 2
How will we determine in an online environment thatthe students have mastered this objective?

Satrohan

I agree that this should be done, but sometimes that could be difficult if you have students outside of the state in which the school is located. I believe that every student should be given an equal opportunity at education. Even though they may struggle, I believe that it is our job as instructors to help each student. If we have to provide some students with additional classes to help them come up to par than we can help them in this way. This is giving those students who may not have any other options as far as education a chance to grow and be excited about possible opportunities that may have not been open to them before.

I teach a course where I can determine through testing whether they have mastered the objective or not. I agree that with the toyota that may not be as easy, but I am sure with an instructor who is skilled at replacing a transmission they will know what to look for in the way the student describes the process. If they use the technical lingo as it were or not.

Would using virtual web be an option?

What a good question.

Alanna:
Your position on the computer literacy issue is well-taken. I assume that students take courses offered by academic instituions. These institutions should offer the courses on computer literacy to provide the students with the requisite entry-level skills. This is my opinion. Perhaps, I did not make this clear in my response. It is better for students to enter an online course with the requisite knowledge and skills than try to acquire them using the time devoted to the course at hand. The length of time required to acquire the level of computer literacy can vary from student to student; so acquiring these skills before entering the course would be better.

On the second point about assessing competencies for performance-based learning objectives in an online environment, I beg to differ. While someone can describe with precision how to perform a task; that is not adequate for me to conclude that they can perform the task. Actual hand-on demonstration would be the best measure.
Satrohan

LaTunya:
Several communication options exist for Distance Education. Students' accessibility to these options, the necessary features through which to implement the instructional, media, interactive straegies etc., and the ease with which students can use these options are critical factors to consider when selecting one.

All academic institutions with which I work make available a Student Orientation course to the course delivery platform. This is not a course in computer literacy; rather, it provides the knowledge and skills students need to use the features of the course delivery platform to complete the learning activities. These institutions also provide tutorials on specific features and functionality of any software application students are required to use in the course. And of course, students have access to a Help Desk facility for Technical Support.
Satrohan

While obtaining my Master's in Business Online, there was not a "crash course" in how to use the system. However, the school did send a CD ROM which contained the tutorial on how to use its BlackBoard system.

This did help to make it easy for me. However, there are still a percentage (a small % even) that still tend to suffer when there is not anyone there to physically guide them. Maybe it's hard for them to instruct themselves or they may feel intimidated by computers.

Q: What are some ways that you use to continuously motivate students in this situation?

LaTunya:
Computer literacy is indeed a critical variable for successful online learning; however, I believe in the majority of instances, we are looking at basic skills. A Help desk facility should serve the needs fo those students who require the extra hand-holding.

There is however, a much more critical variable to successful learning in an online environment---whether the student's elarning style is compatible with the strategies employed in an online environment. For this reason, I usually encourage Institutions of Learning to include these minimum components on their Web site to enable students to decide whether e-learning is suitable for them:

A Student Orientation course to the Course Delivery Platform.

A sample lesson.

A survey to enable students to decide whether e-learning is suitabel for them.
Satrohan

Can the academic institution utilize a computer literacy evaluation prior to the student starting the course? This may minimize the enrollment of a student how fears or has other technology related issues before they get into the course.

I have taught an online course were two students tried to participate but their lack of computer skills hampered full participation.

Paul:
This is an excellent recommendation. I usually recommend Institutions place this self-evaluation at a location on their Web site at which students can complete it and receive constructive feedback before they register for the course. Remedial tutorials tailored to individual student's needs would be of added value.
Satrohan

I am not sure computer literacy is really a factor here. It is necessary obviously for any online student but I think the issue is practice makes perfect, right? How can you get a surgical incision right, if you are just watching someone and being tested on the written steps of the incision?

Computer skills do play an important part of online learning. They don't need to be an IT person but certainly need the basics.
Jan

Rebecca:
Your answer attests to my feedback to your response to the first Discussion Forum.
Satrohan

Agreed Janet. There are some basic skills students must possess before they can be successful in an online learning environment. In addition, when the course content is delivered through a Course Delivery Platfrom, such as for example, Blackboard, students would benefit from an orientation course from which they learn how to use th relevant featurs of the Course Delivery Platform to complete the learning activities.
Satrohan

Ask me about it!
You know LaTunya, I have been teaching English in Mexico for over twelve years and have encountered many scenarios such as learners being either reluctant to use computers to learn a new language or computer illiterate, as a result they do not take advantage of computerized resources and limit themselves to their teacher's prescence to learn English and worse yet they become dependant due to their limitations.

Moreover, at the school I work for, we have been striving for students hands-on approaches and collaborative learning in order to trasmit the idea to students that they are able to resort to others (their peers) rather than only on the teacher to succeed in their studies not only in English but in any other subject since collaborative learning becomes a life experience.

Marc Del Alto

Sign In to comment