Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Managing Discussion Topics

All the discussion topics for subjects that l teach are done in the asynchronous mode. A requirement is that every student post to the discussion forum several responses relevant to the topic. Every student is given the opportunity to express their opinion both personally and academically and comment to each others posts. Do you feel this method is limiting to a avoidant learning style type of student.

Paula:
I do not feel that this method is restrictive for students with avoidant learning styles. What has been your observation with student groups with whom you have applied ths method? Was participation at a satisfactory level?
Satrohan

No. In fact, I think this style is preferred by students. They can communicate their ideas and get a good grasp of their classmates' ideas without feeling forced to say or respond in a specific manner. I do not disagree with timed meetings, however when students can take time to read and prepare their responses they will put forth greater efforts and receive more positive responses. I completely agree with this concept.

I agree. I do not feel that this method is restictive either. My experience with this method has only been a positive one. Participation is required, but is good.

Making a student actively responsible for his/her grade through online participation is paramount to the e-learning environment. In more ways than one, the student, regardless of type, is learning whether he/she knows it or not. FOr instance, as part of class discussion, not only are students required to respond to the instructor questions, he/she must respond to two other student responses as well. This means he/she must know actively particiapte if he/she expects to receive a decent grade. First, he/she has to take the time to read the response from someone else (processing the information written by another). Then, he/she must turn around to think of a good response with something other than "Yes", "No" , or "I agree".

LaTunya:
Thank you for sharing your thoughts on "Managing Discussion Topics". Please share your thoughts with us on the Question from which this Discussion thread originated:

In most online courses, students have the freedom to study whenever they want as long as they adhere to established deadlines for completing learning activities, assignments, and assessment measures. As such, is it true to say that it takes less effort to manage students in an e-learning environment than it is in a traditional classroom environment? Justify your answer.

Thank you.
Satrohan

is it true to say that it takes less effort to manage students in an e-learning environment than it is in a traditional classroom environment?

I was an on-line student and an on-line pseudo tutor so I can see things from both perspectives and I would say that trying to keep up with the students´demands is quite a task in both scenarios. Often times, students are very demanding and expect feedback and reflections on their assigments not only from their instructor but from their fellow students.
Rodolfo

I have found it very time-consuming to teach online courses as opposed to on-ground teaching. I think those that haven't experienced online teaching are surprised when they first start teaching an online course. I try to prep them and explain that a great deal of time is spent "keeping them in class" as well as actually teaching the class. The situation may also have a lot to do with the level of students we are teaching. I'm not sure if others have the same issue or not...

Rodolfo:
I agree that students can be very demanding in terms of receiving timely and quality feedback. Let's focus on providing feedback alone. Is it easier to provide feedback in an on-the-grounds setting than in an online setting when we consider that our feedback must be constructive, supportive, and timely-----let's say within a 24 hour timeframe and with a class size of 20 students?
Satrohan

Troy:
Many instructors with whom I have worked also expressed the same finding-----that teaching online can be more time consuming that teaching in an on-the-ground setting; even when students enter the course with the course pre-requisites.

Do you think that after teaching an online course for around three times, it will be less time consuming to teach it onwards?
Satrohan

I find your points interesting and very relevant

My collegues have expressed the same concerns ; they have taught both online courses and traditional on-the-ground courses. Several have commented on the time constraints.

I am quite literally new to the online forum and am. I am trying to be flexible with the course requirements as I want my students to maximize the benefits of online learning while being careful to manage effectively my workload

I have taken some very relevant points from these discussions regarding deadlines and managing feedback. Having realistic expectations for the course, instructor and the student i believe is the key to success in any course

Joel

Joel:
Your points are well-taken. Setting and managing expectations are important factors which influence the success of an online course.
Satrohan

I would agree that it is the students responsibilty to ensure they are participating. It is difficult to gauge how a student is doing in the course without adequte representation of their knowledge. Simply stating that you don't agree with someone doesn't tell me the line of thought the student has. We are here to facilitate how to student reasons. If they are using the theories in the course to come to a logical conclusion.

Quiana:
Agreed. Short answers ("I agree", "Way to go....", "I disagree") must not be reagrded as satisfactory participation.

Let's assume that peer evaluation is a requirement as participation in an Asynchronous Discussion forum. What measures can an Instructor take to promote student reasoning?
Satrohan

My school requires the teachers to make so many responses a week to all students (one to each + a minimum of 15 more--so in most classes the students will get 2 or more). This is expected to help manage the classrooms by giving the teachers a continual presence (brief answers by us are not encouraged!).

Just trying it now--but it sounds like the teachers have to be as proactive as the students to make an online class work!

Requiring students to post responses forces them not only to read and digest other's comments, but also to use critical and analytical thinking skills in order to come up with a meaningful contribution to the discussion.

I agree with what you are saying Dee. My concern is that some folks respond to the discussion and have trouble staying on track with what is being discussed just as our module reviewed us on the various styles.

Also, have any of you had students to participate in the discussion topic and you were uncertain about what they were saying because their response did not seem to be relevant to the topic--in other words they may be responding just to respond so that they can get a grade. How did you all handle this situation?

Hi Crystal! Excellent question. If I am not able to understand a response posted by a student, I often ask a clarification question and encourage the student to provide an example. For minimal posts, I will privately correspond by email with the student advising them of the importance of the level of discussion and ask them to post again. I think we have to be clear in our course requirements what constitutes valid discussion and, as instructors, reserve the right to include that as part of a student's assessment. Hope this helps!

Thanks for your questions and forum participation.

Jay Hollowell
EL102 Facilitator

I believe that the asynchronous mode of discussion forums would be beneficial to the avoidant learning style student. First of all, it is a requirement to post to the discussion boards (no possibility of avoiding there!) And I find that some of the avoidant learning style students are not really "avoiding"; they are shy or just not as quick to speak or respond as some of the more outgoing students. This system seems as if it would give them the time to process an answer and be able to respond to the topic.

I agree that the asynchronous discussion is a way for students that might not be comfortable to speak up in class to participate. As you point out, because students have the opportunity to think of their response, they are more confident. Thanks for your comments!

Sign In to comment