Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

What are the diffinite advantages of Asynchronous discussions

Setting a time frame for asynchronous discussions has treetous value in establishing,influencing, inspiring and connecting with your students.Establishing a specific time to do a required on-line chat can be effect method in establishing this.

Paula:
I would like to distinguish between synchronous discussions and asynchronous discussions. Online Chats are classified as synchronous discussions as they occur in real time. Asynchronous discussions do not occur in real time. Students post their answers to questions in the Discussion forum at different times.
Satrohan

I agree that it is important to set a time and that by doing so it is the most effective method - the problem with on-line is it is more difficult to do so due to time zones and locations.

There are benefits in both. It allows students with difficult times to be able to contribute and feel like part of the class. However, interactive discussion is beneficial in getting the participates a chance to know each other and learn from each other. Both types of learning environments have positive outcomes.

Good point. It's very important to make this distinction.

Teya:
Asynchronous discussions do serve the purpose of e-learning community building. It also helps to manitain momentum in an e-learning environments just as discussions in a traditional classroom setting. Synchronous discussions also help to build and maintain a sense of belongingness to an e-learning community. In addition, students can use Chats to assist each other or bounce ideas off each other; or seek assistance outside of classroom activities. Moreover, an Instructor can engage in one-on-one sessions with individual students who require specific assistance.
Satrohan

I agree. However, chat's can be available in addition to asynchronous discussions. In addition, email communication or webcam communication can be used for instructor student one-on-one discussions.

Teya

Teya:
E-mail can be sluggish and does not replace a dialogue in an efficient manner. Webcams are better. And there are certain learning technologies----Centra Live, for example, that do a better job.
satrohan

Time zones seem to be the only detriment to synchronous discussions, yet I feel that asynchronous ones have several advantages, namely there would not be a 'discussion leader' and all students would post their contributions that would be read by every single student and everyone would have a reply, as a result there would be further participation and more information shared.

Marc

Your conclusions about asynchronous discussions are well taken, Marc. Unless the instructor has stipulated a timeframe within which students must complete thier responses to the Discussion forum, students will have ample opportunities to share in a wider domain of knowledge than would be possible in a traditional classroom setting.
Satrohan

I believe the majority of online students selected this environment because they wanted to learn at their convenience. Who believes that requiring synchronous discussions would be a negative to most online students (me for one)??? Anybody else??

Thanks!

John:
Unloke Synchronous Discussions during which students have a very short response time to compose and post their contributions, Synchronous forums allow for longer response times. Students have more time to read and assimilate the contents of the forum and compose intelligent answers.
Satrohan

I might suggest that a major advantage of the asynchronous environment is that you have the opportunity to think before responding. While a synchronous chat may build a sense of community and offer the ability to have quick feedback, it often encourages shortcuts that are probably having harmful effects on our thinking and writing abilities.

I would suggest that while texting is quick and very popular, it does not encourage thoughtful response.

In an asynchronous chat, the level of thought and dialogue can help foster learning in a way that chatting can not.

Hi John and all,

One of the driving attractions for the online environment is the ability to complete the tasks at the student's leisure. Requiring a synchronous chat would work against this, however, offering it as a supplement (especially with the ability of archiving) can round out the class experience. As long as they can view the chat on their own time, then I do not think they would lose out.

If it was required, I would foresee a multitude of problems, not the least of which would be coordinating 20-35 difference schedules.

You bring up some great points Bryan. Thank you for responding.

Sign In to comment