Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

That works out very well then for everyone.
I would like to ask you for suggestions that would motivate instructoras to become involved in like manner but under different restrictions. For example, the instructor only gets compensated for teaching time. There is no compensation for prep time nor any other time outside the scheduled call period except for a 2 hour quarterly faculty meeting.
Thanks ahead for you ideas.

Larry,

I think one of the best ways to address this issue is through insructor orientation. We make sure that our faculty members know that the responsibilities of an instructor are more than just teaching time. Our instructor job descriptions set expectations relative to attending meetings, advising students, participating on committees and preparing teaching materials. The compensation they receive is for a teaching assignment, not for just teaching a class.

At a former employer, we had a similar issue because we did not make it clear what we expected from our teachers. We calsulate the rate we would pay using a formula that was based on qualifications and the contact hours of the class. Somehow, the amount we were paying became an hourly rate and we had some of the same issues you discuss. The revised job description and a better orientation program helped.

Our school is 25 years young. Some of the teaching staff has been here since the beginning. We have seen many people from both ends of the organizational chart come and go, the one constant has been the intelligent heart. It has been the majority for a long time and it has a strong presence and the atmosphere is very caring without being childish.

The instructors at our school are of intelligent hearts that go above beyond just help our students stay motivated and focus on there goals.

Thanks, Lawrence.

What are some specific behaviors that demonstrate that an instructor has an intelligent heart?

We have a wonderful faculty and staff with intelligent hearts. The warm culture is what the whole student body embraces because the students know they can come to anyone of us for whatever it is they need. When you walk along the hallways, everyone is friendly, students and staff/faculty alike. We look at each student individually and unique in every way. Where they come from and what they are made of (experiences) is accepted when they come with open hearts and minds to make a difference to the world out there.

An individual with an intelligent heart is one that thinks and talks with her/his heart, believes in the power of positivity and that everything great starts with one basic forward step...just believing and doing.

I believe, for the most part, we have faculty and staff who care about the wellbeing of students. There are some who seem more focused on their job rather than the "big picture". There are some faculty and staff who has the "Intelligent Heaart". They are easily identified based on student's comments and observing them engaged in conversations with students.

A person who possesses an "Intelligent Heart" obtain their drive and energy by giving of themselves. They are people oriented and take on the problem-solver mentality. They are good listeners which is often what students need to get things off their chest. They are focused on the big picture and often maintain a postive outlook reguardless of the situation.

Thanks, Earl.

One of the biggest challenges is getting folks to see beyond just their departmental roles and goals. Once all see the big picture, the school will better serve its students.

people who are competent and compassionate

Eric,

What are some specific behaviors that illustrate competence and compassion at your school?

Faculty and supervisors have academic and practical experience credentials; are timely and thorough with communication/information; and embrace academic freedom where faculty have the ability to focus on practical topics or assign various late penalties depending on individual situations by students.

I feel our faculty and staff is made up of 90% Intelligent Hearts. I am going to work towards 100% by watching out for those who aren't and try to model the traits I'm looking for. May have to get rid of a few people though. (Even with faculty and staff that 10% can be very draining.)

Wow...I think there are many things to learn, not just the content of the class. Well deserved praise can be a powerful motivator. Some of the "tools" we provide them are life skills as well as "book" skills. Just my opinion though.....

Sondra,

The 10% need to go if their attitudes cannot be changed. They are probably good people who are on the "wrong bus."

Encouraging folks to leave is never easy, but it is worth it for your students.

I believe that most of the faculty and staff are committed to student success and they have intelligent hearts which is demonstrated through their persistence in helping students. I believe it is a trickle down impact that not all of our upper-level management team model each and every day. Sometimes the idea of intelligent hearts gets lost in making a bottom line profit.

Thanks, Rocco.

In the long run, a school with inteligent hearts will make their numbers. The attitudes needed in an "intelligent heart" school pay off.

In defense of upper management, they may have the intelligent hearts we want them to have. Sometimes we, as faculty members, do not get to see them exhibit those hearts as they go through decision processes imapcting students and staff.

I'm an Instructor a Universal Technical Institute in Houston and teach the Basic Engines course, which is the first course in the school. We try to instill in the students the idea that working on engines should be something that is fun and exciting. You are supposed to enjoy school, not dread going. In order to teach this you have to enjoy your work and display an upbeat attitude at all times. People naturally work harder at something that is enjoyable. They put in extra effort and time. Maintaining this kind of attitude fights negativity and encourages student participation.

Thanks, James.

You should consider it an honor to be the faculty member assigned to teach the first quarter students. You may be in a position to positively influence more students than anyone else in the school.

Many career colleges put their best instructors in the early quarters. The trick is to duplicate that positive energy in all of the other quarters.

Treating students as we wish to be treated goes a long way in the teacher-student relationship. A compassionate heart demonstrates caring for each individual student, not just a number.

Thanks, JoAnn.

What are some specific things that you and your peers do to demonstrate "compassionate hearts?"

Sign In to comment