Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Hi There, Just my two cents worth. To me an Intelligent Heart consists of being able to be empathetic with what the students are going through. It is not unlike doing customer service at a write up aisle. Some customers need more patience and understanding than others and we need to be flexible enough to know the difference and provide that extra, whenever needed. We have for the most part a culture of the intelligent heart here; but as with everything we sometimes get into a rut and forget the basics. It would be my hope that everyone in the school take this course to understand the human side of customer service more.

You can tell when an instructor has a heart at all, some say they do. you don't have to give it ALL away, but a student knows or feels you care about them you can sense and sometimes see the change in there behavior. they are still kids, older but still respetive

This system has proved invaluable to assist a student in need before they are in jeopardy. By looking at learning trends it allows for a more accurate lesson plan for the instructor to reach all students.

The majority of the instructors in my school have intelligent hearts they do whatever they can to help the students succeed, and understand the importance of being punctual and working hard to get a good start in a successful career.

Yes, I would say that in my school culture for the most part is made up of Intelligent Hearts.
My perception of an "Intelligent Heart" is that we have to be more then a teacher more then an instructor. We have to have compasion and try to understand that the students have another life outside the school with their own problems and difficulties, while we educate them on their purpose is for being in school, their future!

I have kind of a unique perspective. I have 27 years in my field and I attended the school I teach at to up date my knowledge. I graduated two months ago and got hired to teach here after graduation. I do not have much experience teaching but I went through the school as a student and now as an instructor so I have seen both sides. I got to here the students comments as one of them and I think most of them would agree with me that the majority of the teachers here are very caring and do the best they can to help all the students. I just hope I can do as well as them teaching! Evan though the instructors and staff are caring and understanding the rules of the school sometimes makes it hard for the students to see that. One of the biggest problems here is that some of the students have a hard time making it to class on time. We start at 6:30AM and for many of them that is too early. The rule requires them to be on time or get infractions for being late and as a teacher we are not allowed to bend those rules. The students do not understand why and some of them fail because of it.

Damaso,

You perception of an "Intelligent Heart" is perfect.

Mark,

A key here is to allow students to see the WIIFM of being at school that early. It is also great to hear that you can share your experience as a student with the students you have now as a teacher.

We have a very fast paced learning environment and it can be very difficult for students to perform to the standards that the school maintains. The staff tries very hard to accomodate the student from acedemics, transportation, housing, and sometimes donating food, bicycles and even cash. When students are having trouble with their success we have a network of staff members that listen to the students' issues or concerns and provide positive direction and reassurance that we are here and willing to help in order to get the student focussed on their goals.
An intelligent heart is one that cares about their people, cares about what their doing, listens well and maintains a positive momentum for students to follow.

Our school's culture is all about the student and helping them change their lives. I think it is made up of Intelligent Hearts whom care about the student's and truly want them to succeed.

Absolutly. The heart of our culture is what keeps the school alive and operating well.

I feel the Intelligent Heart is pointed towards helping people succeed. Of course in the class environment, but also in our daily lives.

I also feel that our campus is making great strides in this area, becoming more student-focused.

I believe our school has a very healthy Intelligent Hearts. Most of our employees in all departments have a positive way to deal with every student.
I think my perception of an "Intillegent Heart" is that employee who always makes that extra mile to help any student, staff, and faculty member either directly or indirectly.

Anthony,

This is great that your school has a group of intelligent hearts to be there for students.

Lindsey,

Since your school is full of intelligent hearts, students should have no problem succeeding.

David,

The heart of the culture is what keeps the school alive and operating. So the heart of the culture must be an intelligent heart to be successful in our business.

Dan,

In our business, student-focused is very important in all aspects. If we have no students, we have no school or business.

I have always employed this practice. I have been teaching for 20 years.

Our school population is made up of different cultures. We have a lot of minorities. I always made a point of communicating with most of the students even if they were not in my class. I always say Hi or Hello when I see them in the hallways. I always greeted everyone with a smile. The most important thing is when they need my advice, I was always there to give it to them and course listen to what they had to say.

I think our schools culture overall is one of support and understanding for all stakeholders whether it employer, staff or student. In this way all associated with the school understand that together we fulfill our mission, divided we fail.

Sign In to comment