Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Vivian,

The holidays might be a logistical and fiscal challenge. What do you see as the benefit to students?

Ron Hansen, Ed. D.

Shanika,

Do you have any statistics indicating the improvement to retention?

Ron Hansen, Ed. D.

Involvement in state and national association meetings.

Freshman/Sophomore buddies

Study groups

Lab activities

Open lab/study "hall"

Community event involvement

Visits to out patient day programs

Our school provides a number of activities that involve the students from having a storyboard about certain disease processes that compete with other departments within the school to decorating a door for Christmas. We have Halloween parties and opportunites to serve the community through the year. These provide a way for students to unify and take pride in their school and promote commraderie with their fellow students.

You're totally right, we as students should develop a list of activities associated with the current curriculum that the students can complete together. That way the students' will be able to work together and get to know each other.

John,

These are all great examples/ Thank you for your post.

Ron Hansen, Ed. D.

Dawn,

Any favorites amongst your list? Any that work better than others?

Ron Hansen, Ed. D.

I believe at times some fun and moral boosting is good for our heart, soul and motivation. Have best improved Student, pot luck, Celebrate birthday's, Special holidays!

Jimmy,

If these are in place great. If not, they are good suggestions.

Ron Hansen, Ed. D.

I have seen the campus where I teach observe holidays, have themes, and encourage students to bring a friend to class day. these are all great methods to promote the school and increase marketing efforts. I would also encourage schools to survey their students for ideas.

Our D.O.E. recently introduced Perfect Attendance Awards, Department Chair Awards and Student Awards, in addition to our Dean's & President's Award. These have assisted in improving retention, and allowed us to recognize students who go above and beyond. The students enjoy being able to vote for a Faculty Member of the Term. It makes them feel involved and connected with the campus community. We also aim to have one major industry or community project each term, which students can participate in. We don't currently have a mentoring program, but this could be implemented to increase retention and student to student support.

Sharon,

These are all good implementations. This involves students and provides recognition to faculty and staff.

Ron Hansen, Ed. D.

I think this is a very good idea. With doing these types of things, the students feel appreciated making them feel individualized and not just another in the bunch.

I agree. I think while awards may motivate some students, it can also be a pint of discouragement for others. Every student is different in what motivates them to reach certain goals.

Any student activities will that bring them together will create a bonding and sense of community and belonging which will make it difficult for students to want to leave the group. The more activities, the better.

Melvin,

Yes. Some activities should be related to what they are learning.

Ron Hansen, Ed. D.

Dr. Hansen,
We create a quarterly roadmap of events. We have weeks 2/3 breakfast sessions (emotional health checks!)to gauge the students' initial experiences. We always have an all clubs' meeting at the onset of the term to regroup and invite new participants. Spirit Week and Student Appreciation events are fun times for all. Our quarterly academic achievement events are so important; we also award perfect attendance. We have recently formed staff focus groups to examine how we can improve our students' experienes - we conduct student satisfaction surveys 2x/year.

Jamie,

Thank you for your detailed response. The focus groups could provide interesting feedback.

Ron Hansen, Ed. D.

I agree, Stephen. Our team discusses this each quarter - the time spent on "problem" students.
This quarter, we plan to try something new. In the past, we have used staff mentors to "adopt" entry level classes - ones in which, historically, we have lost students. We are planning to adopt some upper level classes this quarter - majority of students who are on track - to provide more recognition and more opportunties for growth.

With our school being a Tech School, we allow our students to work with each other most of the time in order for them to know what it is like working in the field. In our field of construction, no one works alone.

Sign In to comment