Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

I teach at an automotive school, so interests are similar. We have drag races, car shows, car trivia challenges and so one. It works very well.

I think we need to more consistently do the activities we already do: attendance awards for cohorts, spirit week, thanksgiving dinner/ice cream socials. And the ice bucket challenge!

Megan ,

Tie activities into the learning some how. I've come to believe that there are students that will participate in almost anything and there are the introverted that find it difficult to participate.

Ron Hansen, Ed. D.

I'm an instructor at an Automotive technical college and I hear over and over how the students want us to have an event where they can show off their cars. Our school has had some car shows and it really does show off our school and brings the students to a different level of respect for the school they attend.

Ryan,

Car shows are definitely a hit at automotive schools.

Ron Hansen, Ed. D.

We used to have our annual fashion and portfolio show organized by an outside group. For the past two years we have done everything in house and it has been extremely effective. Everyone gets involved doing the video and photography as well as all the graphics.

We also track student birthdays which are celebrated and do many field trips out into their relative fields.

We have just started community outreach with local non profits it’s fantastic industry experience for our students and I would like to see it expanded.

Some of the involvement activities are:

Holiday activities such as dinner for students during Thanksgiving
Celebrating Halloween with costume contest

off campus activities

Alex,

Please describe the activities.

Ron Hansen, Ed. D.

Zena,

Keeping it all in house makes for a more engaged school community.

Ron Hansen, Ed. D.

I think some involvement activities could include:

1. more student recognition based on programs
2. contests
3. holiday program contests
4. increase tutoring programs to help retain students
5. programs to help struggling students be successful

I think these are some important aspects to bring to the school to help students be more involved and retain them.

George,

These are all good ideas. Bring them to campus leadership.

Ron Hansen, Ed. D.

Our school has many school involvement activities. We have student appreciation days where students are provided pizza or hot dogs and honored for their hard work and attendance. We also do community service with blood drives and free messages at community events. Most holidays we have family events; Halloween and Christmas parties for parents and children etc. As a result, students and their families feel connected to our school. I know that this improves student retention and makes us known in the community.

Cynthia,

Yes. This helps retention and your reputation in the community. Which in turn has to help student recruitment.

Ron Hansen, Ed. D.

Graduation Celebrations
Holiday Celebrations including diverse holidays
Honors Celebrations
Contests
Program memtors

On our campus we hold awards for perfect attendance for the term and honor awards for grade point average for past term. At graduation, students are awarded for earned GPAs with varying colored cords and are announced. The ceremony is a love fest -- great experience for all attendees!

Sally,

Graduation is why we do what we do.

Ron Hansen, Ed. D.

my school already has multiple awards and ways for students to enjoy graduation and feel proud of their accomplishments. Not much improvement is needed in this area. Our Student Services Department is on top of their game.

Our school has perfect attendance and 4.0 awards ceremonies. Pictures are taken and are displayed on a board. We also have student appreciation days where we have games, food and raffles. The students enjoy these activities. We take pictures and post them on our web site.

I think having intramural sports teams and weekend outings, outside of the classroom will help students to feel like part of a "family."

Sign In to comment