Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

I love your idea of peer tutoring. The key is to invoke advising... but, real advising, centered on career themes. Too often, advising is not geared toward keeping the student's vision alive.

Dr. B

Methods to increase student retention:
Weekly reminders about missing work
Weekly reminders to students that are failing or close to failing
Attempt to contact students that are not attending
Offer multiple avenues for the students to contact the instructors
Apply policies and grading criteria in uniform manner
Offer activities that cover similar material from multiple angles

How about career or job fairs? Or, other kinds of student appreciation activities?

Dr. Banks

I didn't think about those. I was thinking more along the lines of what I can do as an instructor to improve retention. One idea that I have along these lines would be to hold a door prize give away at a school sponsored event.

Good deal. That is the idea... think of ways that you can improve a percetn or two.

Dr. Banks

At our school we have many social activities where the students can bond with eachother. I also believe it is a good way to increase retention, but most important a way to show our students we do care and want the best for them.

what can I say but many thanks to all. I printed this discussion and plan on sharing it with my colleagues.....fantastic suggestions...most valuable part of this course.

I'm new to my campus and we are getting back to having quarterly Student Appreciation Day. We are also going to start-up 'clubs' for each of the programs. I believe if we get the student more involved in their program and get them a sense of belonging, that this will improve retention. I also read through the last student survey and have addressed some of the comments listed. This will so the students that we are listening and taking action; which should help with retention.

I'm having an Ambassador from each program to create a display board for their program. This will be used during an Educational Fair; where they can promote their own program. They will work with their Program Director to create.

Clubs are a great way to increase socialization among students and faculty as well as building upon industry related skills. One club, Iron Toques, much like an honor club engages students in high standards like those expected in the culinary/hospitality industry, rigor of meeting academic standards, requires community hours and support of each club member. This club has the highest enrollment and participation. Students who excel in this club are recognized at graduation which is an honor for them.

Involving students to increase their vested interest in every aspect of school life gives them a sense of place. They feel comfortable with faculty cooking hot dogs, and service popcorn just to name a few of the ways in which they can be approached. We intereact with students academically and strive to give meaning to their place in the school environment. We do not judge them about their past but help them to keep their eye on the future. Academically they have reason to be successful and with our social opportunities they feel they have a place.

Here is my list.

Peer Tutoring
Peer Mentoring
Student Associations
Faculty Developments that improve teaching methods
Student activities such as Student Appreciation (cookout, order pizza, games, etc).

Yes, a good list. So, tell us more about your mentoring process? What do you think... is mentoring a core process for retention?

Dr. B

Since I work in the online environment, this is more difficult a task than at physical campuses. However, having said that, each class can incorporate activities for online students that can develop or increase the sense of community built there. Additionally, publishing quarterly student Newsletters that include articles about students who made the Dean's list or achieved perfect attendance serves to grant recognition to those students. Also, including tips for addressing and overcoming common online student challenges or even just life challenges can help.

Involving students to increase their vested interest in every aspect of school life gives them a sense of place.They will develop relationships that will last past college

1. Student reaching out to other students -
One of our student organizations calls all active students the Saturday prior to the start of a new quarter reminding students of the Monday beginning to a new quarter.
2. Instructor reaching out to students -
Group activities the first week of classes are designed to encourage bonding of students in the classroom. Often phone nunmbers or emails are exchanged
3. Administration reaching out to students -
President of college and Dean meet with first quarter students checking in to see if expectations are met allowing students to express positive and negative experiences.

The key is to form a relationship. A relationship equals trust. Sounds like you are encouraging relationships. Suggest and encourage contact through the second term. Research shows drops will occur during the first 2-3 terms.

Dr. Banks

Encourage faculty to develop activities in the classroom that would help students bond with each other and the instructor. These would be ongoing activities weaving through all academic time frames.

Using student services, the registrar and the deans to communicate each quarter with all new students on a variety of topics including grading procedures, scheduling, academic probation, etc.

Advocate and support student organizations.

Celebrate student successes. Have a party for those on the Dean's list. Send letters of congratulation to students who have been removed from academic probation. Have a spectacular graduation ceremony. Celebrate once a quarter with a "Student Appreciation Day" with refreshments or pizza, etc.

These are items that we are currently doing at my campus -
• Quarterly Dean’s List
• Quarterly President List
• Student Leadership Council – this involve faculty members and students so student concern may be brought to the management team.
• President Advisory Committee – industry professionals meet quarterly to address current industry needs compared to performance of our students
• Volunteer Events – I personally chair and organize 10 events a year primarily with Share Our Strength and the Atlanta Community Food Bank – students and faculty participate and look forward to these events
• Taste of Atlanta
• Numerous Clubs focused on specific aspects of the industry – Dine Out Club, Slow Food Club, Baking & Pastry Club, French Club and many more….
• Advisor Program
• Tutoring Program
• Career Fairs
• Master Workshops – by industry professionals & instructors
• Guest Speakers in classrooms

And, don't forget to talk about employability factors. Why? Keep the student's vision alive.

Dr. B

Sign In to comment