Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

We have found having orientation each morning before class starts has been helpful, but taking this course has given me helpful ideas on making ours better, like involving admissions all teachers and staff involved in there daily life at the school.

Stephan ,

Sort of like home room was in High School but with greater support for their studies. A good practice.

Ron Hansen, Ed. D.

I think this is an excellent idea. I believe that when students know who to contact about certain issues, they are more confident. It slso makes some situations less stressful.

In order to help our students feel welcomed within our school, I usually introduce myself and give a brief summary about myself along with some hobbies that I enjoy and how I got started into this field of work. Then from there we bring in admissions, director of pipefitting along with any other personnel that need to give any info. Then from there we ask the students stand up one at a time to introduce themselves and give a brief idea of what they enjoy and where they are from.

daniel,

Building connections with people at the school, faculty, staff, or fellow students, helps the student to know they matter and made a good choice about their education.

Ron Hansen, Ed. D.

We are starting a new orientation program this week actually and it includes not only the on campus orientation that students come to, but an online orientation that goes into great detail about the school, program, departments, and industry. I hope that this tool will really help students to become successful in the future. Our on campus orientation i feel is overwhelming to students because of the amount of information they receive and this will be a way for them to soak up the information a second time.

Nikki,

Having the online resource will be helpful. Expecting retention of the information from orientation day is probably not realistic.

Ron Hansen, Ed. D.

We have a good plan.
Some courses have a Keys to Success program that reconnects to core values of campus.

Tim,

That sounds like a good program. Thanks for sharing.

Ron Hansen, Ed. D.

I feel that if all of the instructors were to meet with their individual programs at orientation, it would make the students feel more comfortable when they begin. They would already see familiar faces on their first day. Our school has an orientation where all of the new students for every program are all put together and given orientation at one time. They have started having student leaders go in and speak to the new students about what to expect. I think that has been helpful for them to actually hear from peers.

Jaime,

Two comments. Having a meet and greet with instructors at the end of the orientation day would be a good start. Orientation should be considered more than a single day event. It is a process. Having some "touch points" during the first couple of weeks would be helpful to all.

Ron Hansen, Ed. D.

Orientation is a fun time for new starts. We show them what it is like to attend, with presentations from the Campus Director, Education Department, Instructors and student ambassadors. Shirts are ordered, texts handed out, demos are done, snacks are provided, and students are encouraged to get to know one another and begin forging the relationships that will see them through their program.

As far as how it could be improved - we're always thinking of ways we can make the Orientation a better and more satisfying experience for our new students!

Nyssa,

Ask students that have been attending for 30 to 60 days "what do you know now that would have been helpful to know at orientation?"

Ron Hansen, Ed. D.

This is a fantastic idea, I'm new to my institution and hope our facility does this.

we bring in Prog. Dir's, Admissions, and ESPECIALLY Career Services to show new students what they can expect, and what to look forward to when they graduate.....that's the big picture! Give them a visual of what they can be!

Kathryn,

Is it interactive or talking heads?

Ron Hansen, Ed. D.

This is a great question!
We have recently altered our school’s orientation. In the past students were greeted by the campus directors, welcomed to the school and informed of the school’s rules. This process lasted 60 to 80 minutes. Our new policy is a lot more student friendly. The directors and campus president do an overview of their departments, welcome students, share experiences and leave the rules to the teacher.
So far, the new orientation has been great. We can go through orientation in ½ the time we used too. I’ve had students tell me they really feel welcomed in the school and the informal way we introduce ourselves helps take the pressures off of being a new student.
Eric

Eric ,

Half the time and probably better retention of information. The students do not feel weighed down by information overload either.

Ron Hansen, Ed. D.

I honestly can say we have a pretty good Orienation program. We have each department go in and introduce themselves & explain what we are here for. We also go over expectations and policies.

I do think we should have a current student or grad come in to speak. We have done that 2-3 times and it was very positive. We haven't been doing it recently and I think we should. I think it's good for them to see a student in there and not just staff.

The only other thing I think we can improve is the length. I honestly think it is too long and they get bored. I think with it being that long, they aren't retaining the information. They are already overwhelmed with being a new student and starting a new program.

Wow congratulations on that huge improvement! That's awesome!!

Sign In to comment