Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Great idea. I would also have the prospect evaluating the class

I agree with you in that orientations should not be drawn out and packed totally with academic and school requirements. We modified our orientations to mainly focus on supporting the new students through this change in their lives. Many of them are very apprehensive about college and doubt their ability to succeed. We include all the campus Directors but we only spend a little time reviewing the requirements of a new student. Most of the time is spent supporting thier decision to attend school, making them feel comfortable, and letting them know that all of us are there to help them accomplish their goal.

We have a good orientation process/program but there is always room for improvement. I am looking to create a forum in which students can easily communicate any concerns they may have with respect to challenges in the classroom, resources, or special needs. Moving from a grounded campus to an online environment makes this process a little more challenging but nevertheless doable. I send out a welcome message, their advisors do the same, etc. This way, we set the expectation from day one that we are here for them and will walk with them until graduation

We currently have an excellent orientation program. We have a staff and administration introduction. Students are introduced to the realities of being a student.

I think one area of opportunity would be to set aside some time for the students to introduce themselves to one another. The statement in the text about “students clinging to one another like rats” is interesting. I have noticed over the years that classes with students that are close retain more students on average than classes with students who are indifferent to one another.

Hi James

I have found that to be true as well. So having a close class works well for retention. They start to really care about each other and check when someone doesn't come to class.

Thanks for your comment.

Our school also conducts an orientation a week before scheduled starts. On the first day of class we reiterate that we have a mentoring of all subjects. However, I have valued what senior students might be able to contribute to the mentorship and feel that I could implement that as well. It has been beneficial to do this module and realize how we could institute a forum for mentorship.

A couple of points made within the course material could be additions to improve our existing orientation program.

Addressing the need for new students to be sensitized to how life will be different for them and their families while in attending, along with help in managing and making any changes that will be needed. It would be interesting to have some details how others schools are addressing this issue without scaring the students away from programs?

Including upper level students to participate in the orientation is an interesting and welcomed suggestion. In addition, the concept that orientation is not just a one time experience would benefit our current program. A helpful suggestion included in this module was for faculty to schedule time at the end of every class to ask students to share any challenges, solutions....or what would make it easier for students to get thru the course.

Your orientation sounds really fun! I would like to implement more games in our orientation. I would like to know what games you play and what ones the students really seem to like, thank you for all your suggestions.

Our orientation is currently in two parts, which typically take place on the Friday before classes begin. The first part involves an introduction to key faculty and staff and a fairly detailed discussion of the policies and procedures of the school. The second part is a tour which acquaints the students with their new environment. Additionally, on the first day of class, the teacher holds a getting-to-know-you "pow-wow."

In order to improve our orientation, we are planning to eliminate some of the more detailed procedural information, as it seems that it is too much for students to absorb in one sitting. Instead, we will give the information throughout the first 2 weeks as it is needed. The first part of the orientation would then be focused on which staff members to go to for what questions.

How about a third part? We have found a useful component to be an online one. It allows students to get to know one another both before and after the physical orientation.

Besides a conventional orientation, we find it helpful to have a new student sit through an ongoing class to see and experience what is in store for him/her. They'll usually talk with the other students and establish relationships with others who have already been through what they are about to undertake. It helps set up realistic expectations and helps create mentoring opportunities for later on.

Howard, That is a good idea and something that sounds very practical.

We currently have a comprehensive orientation program. However, after covering the lesson I can see where we could benefit possibly by having a few more touch points and lesson during orientation where the students could use a calendar to plan what their days may look like as a student.

Our current orientation takes place the week before classes start. Admissions does a good job of setting this up, but I believe that we need to get the Acedemic Advisors and the Instructors more involved. We presently introduce these people but do not involve them in the orientation.

Our school has a good orientation process currently; however, I feel there is always room for improvement. I think the best way to improve it will be to obtain feedback from the members involved and students who have succeeded and then make adjustments.

We have discussed moving to a week-long orientation program for our modular programs due to attrition. Some of the reasons that our students leave are addressed here in this section. Reading this confirms for me the idea that some sort of extended orientation program could be a very effective tool in increasing our retention

For my modular students, we are doing a one week orientation prior to the start date. This includes introduction of the faculty, course objectives, familiarity to the program requirements, necessary certification to get started, rules and regulations of the school, catalog overview, strategies for success and intro to computer applications.

Our current Orientation program involves all of the managers in the college introducing themselves to each and every student. We discuss with the studetn the importance of attending each and every day they have class, as well as make orientation a fun environment. We also focus a lot on graduation and careers to show them what they have to look forward to, we give them lots of acheivable goals.

The orientation process that is in place currently engages the student. The focus is solely on the student not the fundamental processes and academis requirements that ordinarily orientations are about. The orientation is designed to help the student focus on the life changing decision that he/she has made. It is also a forum for our team to express to them "We are your partners, we are here to ensure your success.

Our orientation is very comprehensive and it is held a few days before class starts. We have each director speak so that the students know who we are and learn a little about each department. We do a few activities that gets them out of their chairs and forces them to interact with each other and have fun. We ask questions throughout the orientation on the information that was recently presented and give out small prizes for correct answers and of course we serve refreshments.

As I mentioned in the first module's discussion, we also have a formal review process which is like a mini orientation facilitated by our DOA. The DOA discusses expectations of the students while they are in school, readdresses common issues such as child care, transportation, work scheduling conflicts, etc...so that when it is brought up at orientation, it is at least the third time they were advised to handle such issues.

Sign In to comment