Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Orientation should be a group effort with all departments involved. Also making sure all faculty are present to make students feel more connected to the school.

Expounding on the later of the question. My experience with orientation thus far is subtle. Philosophical of your views, orientation should be fun, exciting and genuine. Orientation should not seem or be rehearsed. This cause early retention deficits.

IRIS,

Maybe rehearsed but not dry.

Ron Hansen, Ed. D.

Our current orientation program (as well as the admission process) can be approved by emphasizing the changes that the students will need to make once they are in school. Many of our students are older adults with children, families, and jobs. We will begin including information, such as lists, of what students should think of before school begins. This will help them begin thinking about the realistic changes to their lives early, and they will, therefore, be less likely to be caught off guard by these changes.

Our orientation program should focus more on the changes these students will be making as they transition into their new roles. I especially liked the idea of a list stating what the individual would need to set up a successful quiet study area. Many of our students are adults with families and children, and this would be beneficial to them. This would let students what they need to do early on in the program, so they are less likely to be overwhelmed and drop out.

Many of our students have jobs and families, and struggle to balance that part of their life and their school life. This is a large reason that many of our students drop out. They didn't realize what they were getting into, and they were ill-prepared for their transition into the roles of students. It will be beneficial to our orientation program to include a section on time management. We may consider providing them with agendas. Also, we will give them examples of time management activities, including utilizing an agenda or calendar.

Ann,

Most importantly encourage them to learn to inform staff and instructors at the school when they face challenges that could impact their learning.

Ron Hansen, Ed. D.

Dale,

Absolutely. Knowing where they can find support is important. Even if it is just having someone listen to them.

Ron Hansen, Ed. D.

I’m an instructor at a technical school where we have different courses of study. A possible improvement to our current orientation program would be to involve department leaders to participate and answer department-specific questions for new students.

I find that a long, drawn out orientation may be well intended, but new students are anxious to "get on with it", can't (or don't wish to) listen to organizational methods, and often forget suggestions.
First, I would break up orientation into specific areas of no more that 45 minutes (sound like a class?). Second, I would want student participation, not just lecture (again, sound like a class?) Third, I would give them "homework assignments" that they need to bring to orientation.
This prepares them for classroom requirements, gets them involved, and gives them structure.

Sign In to comment