Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

This course has got me to realize that in the ten years I have worked at this collage I have not taken the opportunity to observe or participate in any of our new student orientations I think I need to change that ASAP. It will give me a better idea of what the students are being shown.
As well balanced instructor I need to know what is going on with these new students long before they see me.
This will give these new students the opportunity to see one of their instructors before they even start school ask questions dispel any roomers right from the get go...

We do a showcase of current and former students work and get everyone engaged in groups. For example the video students will screen finished projects and talk about what went into the creation. The students are very proud of their skills and the school and really make the incoming students feel like they are part of a family.

One thing I would be interested in implementing is a formal mentoring program where upper level students are paired with incoming students and a faculty advisor.

All of our faculty are present during orientation. All expectation are talked about including attendance and grades and the expectations so that student can make a decision if before going further in their education.

making orientation a must, a mandatory criteria before enrollment

Chuck,

I am glad the course has had that type of impact. Students like to make contact with their instructors.

Ron Hansen, Ed. D.

Zena,

I hope you get the chance to start a mentoring program. It is a good idea.

Ron Hansen, Ed. D.

Alex,

Before enrollment or before classes start?

Ron Hansen, Ed. D.

Tess ,

Having the faculty there makes a huge difference. Probably more important than the information shared.

Ron Hansen, Ed. D.

I think the orientation program is effective but can be better. The university should not only be involved in the preparation and implementation of orientation programs but also have an opportunity to meet the new students. Unlike some of the other programs within campus life, orientation requires the cooperation and the resources of the entire campus community including faculty, dining services, housing, facilities management, and student activities groups.

George,

Orientation should also be a program that extends beyond a single day. It takes awhile to adjust. Students will not remember everything from one day.

Ron Hansen, Ed. D.

Our orientation program is very unique. we have been working on improving it for more than five years. Each time the program gets better and better. The students talk about it the entire time they are with the school.

We have a very good orientation program, on the first day for new students we have the campus director, admissions, financial aid, student services, tutor and career services go in and introduce themselves and give the students information about each department. On the second day we have orientation for all other students where we do re-introduce ourselves and ask if they have any questions.

I agree with the premise that Orientation is an on-going process. We currently keep orientations, held a couple of days prior to a new term start, short and positive and encouraging. Most of the staff and Program Directors and some faculty join in as well as student ambassadors. We do ice-breakers to get the new students to relax as well get to know some of their new "friends." We use powerpoint slides to make sure that we cover the essentials of school life and expectations. It all sounds good and is effective but I can see that we need to continue the dialogue of orientation through out the students' academic career -- so either me (Dean) or the program director will go in to the classroom at least once per week to open up a discussion on how the students are doing in school, how they are overcoming any obstacles, study strategies, note taking, time management skills, etc. I can see the value of ongoing "orientations."

Maggie,

What do you think has been the best improvement?

Ron Hansen, Ed. D.

Aurora,

Does this represent a change from a previous orientation day schedule? If so. how has this helped retention?

Ron Hansen, Ed. D.

Having potential students sit through a class would provide insight into what they should expect from college courses. Often, students either believe college is like high school or else they fear that they are too old to comprehend the material. Bringing reality to both sets of learners could absolutely improve retention because of offering academic possibilities.

the orientation at my campus usually takes place on a Saturday in the morning to the afternoon. I think that more advertising would help with students coming to orientation as we usually only have a few students that come to orientation. Maybe a different day or time would work better?

We currently have an orientation program in place. The students arrive the week prior to starting the program to receive their information and meet some of the staff they will be interacting with for the next year and a half. We do our best to engage students during this session and try to get as many one on one conversations started as possible while they are waiting to complete required check stations such as uniforms, document signatures, housing, etc.

I would like to see an interactive activity put into play so the students have a chance to meet each other and start the bonding process. Maybe a table activity with some group discussion about a subject and short presentation about the topic chosen.

Chase,

Orientation sounds more like an event for finishing paperwork than a chanced for students to make connections before starting their studies?

Ron Hansen, Ed. D.

Ralph,

Ice breakers work. Also a scavenger hunt where the students have to go find departments and people at the school is a positive activity.

Ron Hansen, Ed. D.

Sign In to comment