Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Our Orientation includes all Departments. Financial Aid, Student Services, Career Services and the Bursar all participate in Orientation.

We each take 5 minutes just to explain what our department does and when/why they would need to see us.

I think it's great that they get to meet each department so they will remember the face, even if they don't remember where your office is!

I have a small program- we start 18 students twice a year. They typically come in on a Friday two weeks prior to their start date to meet with their admissions rep who take them on a tour of the whole school. They then meet with me (the Program Director) where I do an orientation of the program. On their first day of class, I do another orientation of the program which includes introducing them to their instructors and taking them on a tour of the school and introducing them to who in each department specifically helps our program.

Student services actually does most of the orientation for new students. Once they are enrolled, the students go straight to Student Services and schedule orientation were we take them through their online classes bit by bit. Our orientations are great opportunities to establish that we are the friend of the student through casual conversation surrounded by helpful information.

Heather,

What a wonderful, small atmosphere to support students. You have a wonderful opportunity to make a significant impact.

Susan Backofen

Each departmental chairpersons are at the orientation. SOme instructors are invited and even Ambassadors to promote the "ambassador" program or at least for new students to focus on during his or her further studies.

Sometimes the orientations is done while classes are in session--some instructors are unable to attend.

Financial aid is one of the departments that students have to interact with. I literally walked my students through the halls and showed them where some of the departments are located at. I ensured them that the staff is always there to help, sometimes with an appointment only, but since our school is relatively small, there are times available throughout the day. Peeking into some of the offices and a welcoming "hi" from the staff assured the students of this.

Having the Chef instructors do a demo showcasing what the students will betaught to make durinng thefirst week of school. That is what they are looking forward to, hands on.....

Acedemics, lubs, Student Leadership, Guest Chefs

Manuela,

Showing students where and how to access these services is an important orientation step. Great job!

Susan Backofen

Brenda,

Agreed! Whenever we can show them or let them participate in some type of hands-on learning activity it energizes the students.

Susan Backofen

Student Advising has a huge impact on our students and retention. As a member of Student Advising we go to each class room and introduce ourselves and and what specific programs we all will be working with throughtout the term. We go through all the different services and resources we have to offer the student. We let them know that there are people here to support them if needed. We also hand out a survey that gives the new student a chance to reach out and let us know if they see anything they need help with currently or might in the future. This helps smooth the process from Admissions to Student Advising when they get a face with the name of their new advisor.

At the institution where I work, everybody helps with orientation. Admissions, career services, the department heads, and the directors are there and explain the different information to the students.

Jennifer,

Wonderful! I especially like the survey opportunity for them to raise issues early on.

Susan Backofen

At our campus the instructors have the most interaction with the students. The instructors are presented in a "meet and greet' type format.

Incorporating current students in this capacity can really help soothe the initial anxieties and fears of incoming students!

Our student services department goes in-depth with the resources we are able to provide our students. Our academic advisors have break-out sessions with the students during orientation to introduce themselves and answer student questions on program specifics.

We also provide our students with a book bag and we include a flash drive along with the other materials. This sets for tone for the work they will be doing and has been well-received.

Linda,

That sounds like a great format!

Susan Backofen

In addition to the Admissions dept., we have Student Services, Financial Aid, and Career Services participate in an hour long opening presentation. Then the remaining time the students are led only by Student Services. I like the idea of progressive orientation, where groups of students move from one department to another, increasing their interaction and developing the sense of belonging at the institution. I also am going to suggest we include faculty in our Orientations, something we currently do not do.

I think that it is a great idea that you have Student Ambassadors taking part in orientation. They can add a "seasoned" student perspective to the orientation. This can make the new students feel more at ease.

Sign In to comment