Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

The following departments have the most interaction with our student body: Instructors, Purchasing, Career Services, Leads, Leadership Team, and Front Desk.

Orientation is a huge day for all the departments listed above. On orientation day, our students see all department faces and are given a brief description of what each department is utilized for.

This lesson has opened my mind to make our orientation a bit more brighter and fun.

Career Services Team interacts with the new students and gives students an overview of their career paths.

During our orientation process our lead instructor welcomes them to the school after they get their student IDs. Once they are in the classroom the lead instructor talks about the school its history what we offer the student and success stories,after i answer their questions i introduce them to the registrar because they will have a lot of interactions with that department during their education here at the academy.then he passes the baton on to other important administrative and faculty members. When the student leaves orientation he knows who is who and can feel free to contact anyone of us for questions.

I would say that the instructors have the most interaction among the students. The faculty/instructors should be invovled with orientation activities to ease the feers of first time students and to get acquainted with them.

We always introduce each of our departments, the hours we are available and what we can support them with. Everyone helps during the open house orienation. The first day of classes we introduce everyone again and then the director does their presentation followed by the instructor and ed manager going over policy and procedure and doing some ice breakers.

Academics and Career Services are involved in orientation. The Admissions team welcomes the students to the campus, tells them which classroom to go to, and Academics and Career services takes over from there. Admissions is not involved in the orientation presentations but they do meet up with the students afterwards to gauge their excitement and committment to the program.

Vicki,

This sounds like a great 'hand off' of the new students. As admission folk are the ones they know best initially, it is important to have them their to help bridge things. Having academics and career services as the primary agenda helps them to transition.

Susan Backofen

Hello,

Our career services have a lot of impact on our students because they assist with externship, jobs, career fairs, resume writing etc. They have their own tables at orientation to greet, meet, and provide handouts to our students.

The faculty definitely have the most interaction. They are there at every orientation helping guide students through the campus. They are introduced at the presentation and given the opportunity to tell the students one piece of information that will make them successful in the program.

In our school, the admission department welcomes the new students to the lobby before they head to the orientation room. All the school directories and the program coordinators involve the orientation. Every one of them talks about how their department can help them if they need one. Most of the school directors like to throw simple jokes that can make students as comfortable as possible. Refreshment is served during the orientation.

I would say our Faculty and Career Services Department have the most interaction with our students. Our faculty come in to greet and mingle with our students while they are waiting for Orientation to begin The Career Services Department presents a few slides about their department during the speeches but they also have a table set up to meet new students and make appointments.

Qadar,

This sounds like a great format. I really like that you have so many people involved. Do you have any activities that you use to help the students get to know each other?

Susan Backofen

Student services has the most interaction. Especially our Academic Advisor. The registrar and academic advisor actually conduct the orientation, after admissions introduces them to our team.

Instructors do not involve the orientaion day, but the first day of the class I hand shake each student. I aske each one of them to stand up and introduce herself/himself to the class.

Every Departament is included inour orientation. The area that I could see we could improve on is having all the things that will make the student feel like a student. We rarely have all the their scrubs and occasionaly we dotn have all their books.

All of our departments are present at orientation.
Each department head is introduced and a brief description of what they do. On dinner break all departments spend time talking/mingling with the students and asking if there are any questions they may have for them.

We have a meet and greet where the students are given questions to ask classmates to break the ice. The questions are designed to help you get to know the person who will be your classmates.

We also give them a short anatomy class by the instructor. This introduces them to the instructors teaching method. This is followed by a brief hands on experience of what they will learn. We are a school of massage. The feed back is that the students are excited and can't wait to go home and show family what they learned in one night.

Bonnie,

What a wonderful format! You have a 'dinner break' as well? Awesome!

Susan Backofen

Orientation is just not to inform the students of the rules and regulations of the school. It is time to make sure that they feel welcome and a nd are asured that their stay will be meaningful and we are here to help them succeed. This will happen only when all the deparments of the school are on the same page and put a very comprehensive Orientation together which is interactive.

I belive the involvement of the successful students lends a very meaningful aspect to orientation.
Hearing from the successful studnts gives a boost tot he new students to realize that their dreams are achievable.

Thank you it seems to work well for us.

Team approach is very important for any student because they think every one will work for them.

Sign In to comment