Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

We actually do this internally. We have Success Coaches based upon the programs we offer at the college. The idea is to have the Coach, Faculty, and Tutors work together to help the student succeed.

I really like this idea of moving around the campus for orientation. Our institution has our Campus Director do a power point orientation now and it seems like it is not interactive enough. The only point the other staff is involved is to come in and introduce themselves.

The bookstore, academics, and Student Ambassadors. The students get their books and a t-shirt from the bookstore employees. Student Ambassadors take them there after they sign in at a welcome table staffed by admissions reps. Then, Student Ambassadors take them to a room for orientation. After hering from the President and Dean, the students go to break out sessions with their Department Chairs.

During orientation at our institute, we envolve all the departments; education, career services, all program directors, finalcial aid, and the campus director. Student coming through our doors will have many questions, that they might forget to ask, but by presenting each department head to them, it will not only help them to remember questions, but will assure them that we have an open door policy and all questions will be answered.

LeeAnn,

What is the role of the success coach?

Susan Backofen

The role of the Success Coach is to provide proactive and ongoing support for online Associates Degree seeking students in order to better the student experience and improve retention. They build relationships with a diverse student population through motivation, support, and encouragement. They support the student's academic, career, and personal success in weekly phone meetings.They help students to set goals and actions that align with their core motivation, and collaborate with students to select appropriate majors and courses. They guide students through problem resolution and help students connect with online support services. The Coaches also offer help for students in areas such as resume writing, interviewing, networking, and performing job searches. Finally, they maintain accurate student information by projecting, assessing, and reporting on student performance.

In my environment, this could work against us as much as work for us.

All the departments are included in Orientation so that the students know whom to go to when they have a problem in that department.

I don't know whether my post was published or not so wanted to write once again that all departments are involved, so that the student know who to go to when they have a problem. Education department is the most involved in orientation.

Student services. Counselors, housing, scheduking, future student reps, all help out with orientation. local Law Enforcement also comes. We also show a couple of videos thet are upbeat, but stress the importance of showing up and "getting to work"

Student ambassadors are good especially in the times we live in regarding the job market. New students want to hear from someone that is successful in the career they have chosen. I also found that you have to be very careful because sometimes this can be very intimdating to new students. They may began to wonder.... sizing themselves up against another. Can I be successful too?

Janet,

Do your ambassadors have some good stories to tell about how they overcame issues? I think if they were sure to point out that they were very much like the new students it would help them not be intimidating.

Susan Backofen

Yes, and allthough scheduling can be a problem. Clinical instructors and extern instructors are a good idea as well. They can answer questions for what life is like in the "Real World" after classes. And it reafirms that others have been successful.

Financial Aid has interaction with the students and actually give the students financial aid assistance during enrollment

Admissions, Financial aid, emploments services, and even elective instructors/grad-services. All contribute to the over all appeal to the start of the course.

receptionist and instructors are involved in the greeting process and to answer question and tour. great idea of having an ambassador program

renard,

I am excited that you include the receptionist---this is the first face of any institution and critically important!

Susan Backofen

I try to include all departments in my orientation since students will have interactions with them at some time during the program.

Since my student have to successfully pass a national exam for licensure after graduation, before they can work, presenting this information during orientation helps to remind them why they enrolled and it also shows that I have confidence that they will succeed in the program.

Purchasing is involved for uniform fittings. Financial aid is involved to help with last minute loan corrections and to further answer questions. Career services helps with student badges and to talk about externship possiblities.

Our Student Services team has the most interaction with students after the transition from our Admissions department. Currently, during our orientations, only Student Services and the instructors actually take part in the orientation. We have recently added Career Services to this also to introduce students to this team and gives them a general understanding of what our roles within the institution are.

Sign In to comment