Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

We demonstrate school commitment by calling a stuedent when he/she is absent. By calling we are showing a concern. Sometimes the communication is what they need to conquor a rough time, or for motivation.

I'm not sure one can point to a specific practice that demonstrates school commitment. Many times, it appears as if each section has its own agenda and is not too much concerned about the rest. But one thing that we all do is to try to get each student to focus on the future (graduation and gainful employment within his/her chosen profession) rather than on the present. We continually keep examples of success, such as prior graduates' successes, in plain view. We encourage them to see that they can also be that successful person if they simply persist and realize that we are there to help them in any we can. If we can keep them motivated, they will probably be successful.

Our learner services department encourages all instructors to direct student problems to them EARLY! They also host many events to keep student morale up!

Our carrer services and admissions reps have plenty of student geared activies. We also have a monthly student appreciation where we give little gifts for perfect attendence and free food which usually has a pretty good turnout.

Yes, we do that as well. In addition, we are encouraged to update a database with reasons why the student missed the class.

If any student misses our class, we attempt to communicate with the student. We call each one and leave a message with pertinent information and the assignment (if we do not speak directly with the student).

When a student does not show up for class, the instuctors will call them after class to find out the reason why. At this point the student is reasured and made to feel important to the instructor. The student is asked to please communicate when they will be absent.

When students are absent from class the instructors call the students immediately after class to check on them and to discuss what they missed in class and what they need to do to be prepared for the next class meeting.

We have a student success coordinator position at our school in which I currently fulfill. We keep the students actively involved in extracurricular activities.

I coach a competition team here at the school and I have the support of administration and our president as we continue to exceed expectations for the team.This I think shows commitment from both the school and student as this requires that we practice on Sat.

I try doing so each class where I make sure that everyone in the room is on the same page as far as learning and being interested in the subject matter

we have tutors avaliable for student and we develop a family style relationship withthe students.

Our school requires that if a student does not show up for class we, as instructors, will make every effort to contact the student to make sure he/she is ok.

We call students if they are absent, I think this method shows the students that the instructors and school really care and want them to be successful.

many of the staff and educators interact with students before and after school in efforts to deal with different issues that arise

This is very much like our school's policy. We call, email, and update our database with information that we learn from the communication contact we made or from information provided to us by the students themselves. This information can be viewed by other instructors that could have the student(s) in their classes.

We provide tutorial instruction, missed exam proctoring, and web-based resources the students can access at home.

We have a student portal that students can check their grades, test scores, and course schedules among other things.

We also make it possible for our students to contact our IT help desk directly for issues they have logging into computers on campus or accessing their school-based email accounts.

They are encouraged to check their email daily for contacts from the faculty, DOE, ADOE, and Registrar for any communications that are sent which advise them of events, changes, and other happenings that might affect them.

Most of all, we encourage students to understand that we have office hours for their needs so that if they have issues, we're there to assist them.

We have announcement boards throughout the school related to program-specific events, school-sponsored activities, and other events taking place so that students are aware of things that may be of benefit to them educationally, culturally, and emotionally.

We have early delivery of textbooks, so that students can begin as quickly as they can for the next start.

We hold library orientations through specific classes at the beginning of each start. The class(es) are offered each midstart and quarter start.

We plan activities that will enhance students' opportunities to establish networking prior to graduation and job-hunting so that they will know where to look, how to present themselves to prospective employers, and prepare them with portfolios designed for interviewing when they complete their coursework.

These are just a few of things we do as a whole.

Hiring the best faculty to teach core and general education classes.

What's the process for instructors to make a referral? Is it simple enough that they will make the referral or so complex that they ignore the service?

What sort of competition team, John? With whom do you compete?

Loren Kroh

Sign In to comment