Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

I haven't heard the phrase "under performers of the week" before. I like it. It concisely states the problem/challenge.

Don't evening students have access to the same services as the day students, Kathy?

Students can carpool with one another if transportation is challenging, there is also tutoring for those needing more practice and understanding of subjects. Students can also meet with a faculty member or staff in case they need to talk to a person sensitive to their problems.

If a student is absent from class, we call them. This way we can make them aware that they were missed. Also we have Student Support Services that we can refer students to that will assist them personally and academically. This in essence "coaches" them along. I think by doing all these things, the students feel that we care and notice them as an individual.
Also I think it is important as an instructor to let the student know that I care about them and their success. I make it a point to provide positive feedback.

Dorothy, are you the one who is responsible for calling the student? If not, how do you communicate with the person who will call and get feedback from them?

Having a tutoring comittee available to the students.

As I stated before I have not started yet so I am still looking at the practices of the school that demonstrates School Commitment. So far I see it starts with admissions that make sure that the students are qualified for the program they want. The school supports and encourages tutoring for students that need extra help, or is unclear on part of the subject. The school relates the subject to the student’s future and their personal lives.

Our school requires that we call students when they are absent and the dean generates weekly reports to track student attendance to watch for any trends so that the students will not violate probation, when students have barriers causing issues from attending class like transportation, we have student services contact the student to offer solutions.

We have a motorsports club that gets students exposure to lots of activities they may never have had the opportunity to do otherwise. This is on going and shows commitment to the school and the student.

Weekly student "at risk" meetings involving employees from various departments. This stays on top of current student situations so that we can focus on being proactive.

We have open shop time for students with vehicle concerns or for normal maintenance staffed by instructors to oversee and assist if needed.

We have a vast network with employers and keep a relationship with students for many years

We have a variety of programs to demonstrate school commitment to the students. Not only do we have an open shop program, but several programs such as tutoring, peer to peer, as well as instructor tutoring. Another policy is where if a student has an emergency with their vehicle, we accommodate them to the best of our ability to resolve the problem. If a student has a personal issue, there are counselors available every day to address the concern.

I am an adjunct instructor so I don't have as much interaction with the staff and full time instructors to respond thoroughly. However, I can provide some insight through observations. I see many activities and opportunities for students to be engaged with the school on multiple levels - community outreach, academic, and social opportunities. I have also observed many instructors developing relationships with their students that demonstrate true concern for their academic success.

Our institution has a student services department the can help students and actively reach out to them.

How does a tutoring committee work, Rob? How do the students make contact with the committee?

James, tell me more about a motorsports club. Are they actually driving the vehicles? If so, how does insurance work?

Shelia, are these departmental meetings? Do you keep minutes and record action taken/results gotten?

Stan, do you actually work on vehicles? Seems like a great way to get students involved but are there any liability or insurance issues?

Mauricio, who maintains this data base? Do students has access to it?

Sign In to comment