Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Our school calls, e-mails students. But, most importantly we really "Listen" and let them talk about their concerns and career goals.

Progress on each student is done every 4th class period and goals are set for the next progress. The school wants them to keep their goals at the forefront of their daily activities.

We help our students get on to a facebook application that allows employers to look for them instead of the students having to search for jobs on their own which often intimidates them. We also work with them on looking for jobs and try to have at least two salon presentations per monththat are relevant for them.

A practice at our institution that demonstrates School Commitment is that if a student misses class for two days, we are to get in touch with them personally (or at least attempt such contact). I get the cell and home number of my students on the first night of class, and I give them a phone call and send them an email asking if everything is okay, and if they are having any problems that they might need assistance with and are too embarrassed to ask in class. This gives them a personal aspect, and encourages them to come back to class if they were teetering towards dropping the class.

we are required to call each student after ever missed class. I think this shows the student that we are commited to them and making sure they are successful and being in class is the first step in doing so.

At our school, the faculty are asked to contact students who have been inactive for certain period of time. In addition, the student advisers also contact students who are inactive and offer them all the help they need to succeed in their course. In addition, when they are natural disasters in particular part of the country, students from that part are given additional time to complete the assignments.

Being available to help students outside of the classroom is one of the best things I can think of. Too many teachers/students may assume that teaching and learning stops once the class is over. This is not the most effective attitude to have in my opinion.

Patricia, have you gotten any feedback on the effectiveness of sending post cards? It seems to me that this can be a very useful tool to let other family members know what's going on.

Ana, could you share some examples of the goals that are set for the four class periods? This seems like a short period of time to master new competencies, not to mention a lot of work for the instructor.

Gigi, how do you drive traffic to the Facebook application? What sort of success have you had with this approach?

Holly, what's your connect rate? Has this proven to be an effective tactic?

Well said, Daniel. Effective teachers aren't bound by the class schedule.

Loren Kroh

Our organization makes phone calls to students that do not arrive to class on the first day of a new course. Often times this has proven to be one of the first signs that a student is troubled.

As an online instructor with a college that has students ranging from overseas deployment in military to being located in Florida, Georgia, Colorado, Kansas, South Dakota, Minnesota, etc. what I find interesting about the question on school commitment is that despite that students come from 3 or 4 different campuses, when I contact any one of these college locations the dedication to each individual student retention effort is superior in its continuity. The student support services and academic advisors from all campuses are immediate with communication support to students and follow-thru with their feedback to me as an instructor, which in turn has enhanced our student-instructor relationship. In particular, this has been important for first-time students; those who are new to online courses, and may have some apprehension about sharing their stressors with distance learning and communication issues with an online instructor. The school commitment from all campuses to all students has greatly enhanced the rapport for these students with online instruction.

My institution is an hours based trade school we actively contact a student in the morning if they are more than an hour late for school. I have found that this can help with awareness that may be causing problems for a student.

Instructors at our institution make it a point to follow up with students if they happen to miss a day of class or if they are behind on an assignment. They want to make sure everything is ok and let the student know that they are not just a number in a classroom, but that they care about them succeeding in the class. They offer hours outside of class for additional help and want to make sure the student understands and gets that personal attention. We want to show them that we are invested and committed to their success in their program.

If a student becomes a consistant late student, I loudly annouce their entrance and stressed the fact that they are late in a funny way which usually motivates them to be on time. I know it sound a little outside of the box but it works. They make sure I know when they start arriving on time.

Ours is very much the same as what Frances states. We call students after one missed class if it's 2 credits, 2 missed classes if it's a 4 credit. I make myself available before and after class and by appointment since I'm an adjunct instructor without my own office.
I also stress the use of emails for any questions or needs that they don't want to address face to face. We have what we call a 'keep plan' if they miss a certain amount of classes. We sit down with them, discuss absences and what can be done to resolve them. The student understands that they must follow the plan to remain enrolled in the class and that we/I/the school will work with them as much as we can but they also have to make an effort. It's never a one way street.
During contacts because of missed classes I usually stress that I miss having them in class because they are an important part of it.

On the first day a student is absent we as instructor's call them to see if everything is alright and if they are having some sort of challenge that is getting in the way of the coming to school. If we are unable to reach the student the lead instructor's start making phone calls, if the have no response, then the Registrar and finally the School Presdient. This helps the student to understand that the whole institution is concerned for his/her well-being and would like to see them succeed.

When it comes to attendance, our school created an attendance award. For example, students with perfect attendance in one class, they receive Certificate of Recognition. If they have perfect attendance in three consecutive classes they receive gold star. We also present the award at the beginning of the class.

A practice at my institution with demonstrates School Commitment, we have a few........
1. If the student is absent, we call them and follow up when they return to school.
2. I make it a priority to spend time talking to students who are having a hard time or who have overcome obstacles to make sure they know we are proud of them.
3. We make a huge priority to make students all feel that they are a member of the "family". They are all free to speak in our morning and evening meetings, they are all important parts of the school.
4. We take the time to address concerns when students are feeling insecure or having confidence dips. If the teacher sees this or one of the staff, I am very sensitive to check in to see how the student is doing, a lot of times they are relieved I have approached them and they are comfortable to share.
5. We maintain a high level of privacy and confidentiality at the Campus. Students know if they come to a staff member their issue will not be talked to with anyone else if they dont want.

Overall, students can tell if you are genuine. If time is made for the student to talk, and they know that they will not be judged, and know we care for them they are more likely to let us help them. I have seen this be highly effective and keep communication lines open.
-Katie

Sign In to comment