Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Justin, this is an interesting idea! Do you mean that these are evaluations of the instructor/class during the middle of the term made by the students?

I have always been familiar with end-of-course surveys, but not with mid-term surveys. It seems like it would be a good way for the instructor to address any concerns while the course is still going on.

Have you found these eval's useful? Do you proceed to make changes based on the information that you receive from them, and what are some insightful comments from students (if you happen to remember)?

I would be interested in learning your thoughts and comments on the above.

Thanks!

Jeremy Bolton

There are many approaches to demonstrating school commitment and there isn't just one perfect way. However at our institution we have career services and career development courses that encourage the student immediately following their enrollment. On a consistant basis there is a quote of the day to inspire them, also the faculty and the administrative staff work together with each student to make sure that their educational needs are met. We provide them with the same level of service and committment that we expect from them. There is daily affirmation and encouragement to our students.

One of our most common way at our campus we show that we are committed to students is through our Instructors. We not only have great instructors but these intructors go out of their way to reach out to students each and every day. These instructors come in contact with our students everyday- they are their friend, their mentor, their "Go to" person, their advisor and counselors. If you don't have the right person in this role your retention and attrition can hit rock bottom.

A measure of the school's commitment is the requirement that faculty members take courses like this for professional development. The courses listed below will better prepare me to reach out to our students and improve retention as I satisfy ABHES requirements for professional development.

Dr. Ricardo Richards, UMA

RT101 - Improving Retention through Timely Intervention

RT104 - Best Practices to Enhance Student Retention

RT103 - Implementing Successful Student Retention Strategies

RT102 - Orientation and First Week Activities to Increase Retention

No doubt "Strengthening the students confidence in themselves" is an important measure of commitment; but what specific steps does your school take to achieve this goal? Does it require that faculty members take courses like this for professional development?

I normally communicate with my students concerning attrition as it relates to my own personal experiences. At the beginning of each quarter, I inform them that they will experience problems throughout their lives as well as their academic careers. Therefore, they must prepare themselves psychologically for the challenges and encounters that they will likely face.

At my institution, instructors contact students directly when they miss class. I have had several students comment to me that they have never had this personal attention at traditional schools. It really seems to encourage them and foster instructor/student rapport.

I would like to mention several practices uses at my school:
1.Each student is followed closely by the Lead Faculty. Students are given an opportunity to identify stessors that they feel could be changed.
2. We have a student goverance body and student ambassors that also addresses students concerns.
3. The Lead Faculty keeps the communications flowing between students and faculty ,by addressing student concerns in our Program meetings.
4. Students have a opportunity to evaluate the class and the instructor at the completion of the class.

Following through when a student has a need for help/or resources. Following through shows not only commitment, but it also shows that we care.

We have a policy that we have to call students after they miss 1 time. I also send an email since a lot of the students will communicate more online than having to talk on the phone.

We use that same policy.

We also have an early intervention in communicating with a student as soon as a class is missed. I feel this shows they are missed and they do matter. To many of our students do not have this support outside of the school enviroment and taking the time to support them can make a huge difference.

There are many practices at my institution which demonstrates the school's commitment to our students. Each department is committed to setting individual appointments to speak with and resolve any issues or concerns that a student may have in their area. All departments work come together and communicate the best to assist the student so that he/she will be able to remain in school. As an instructor, my commitment to all of my students begins on day one of each quarter, and is enforced and continued throughout the entire quarter. On day one, in addition to covering the syllabus, the expectation of the class, etc., I also let them know that I am there for them; whether to tutor after class; whether it means mentoring, and/or listening to other issues/concerns which a student may be experiencing. I always let my student know that my job as an instructor is to assist them in being successful. I also let them know that I have an open door policy and I make sure that they all have direct contact information so that they can leave messages on my company provided phone. I always respond back to the students as soon as possible. I think that when an instructor shows this act of concern and commitment, students receive, accept and appreciate it very much. This is a true and sincere way of building a rapport with the students.

At MMTC we have a retention coordinator. Also, if a student misses two consecutive days, they receive a phone call.

Are you one of the people communicating with the students who have missed a class? If so, what kind of responses do you get?

Loren Kroh

Bravo

Loren Kroh

If a learner is late to class I ask them if getting up in the am is a problem, then the next time they are late I wright an advisment that they sign reminding them of the importance of being to class and ask them if they can remember why they came to this school.

The teachers are responsible for calling a student when they are not present in class and comment on a call log every day. We also follow up with makeup classes and schoolwork, each case being documented and discussed among instructors of the same class. Lastly, we hold a meeting with our lead instructors each week to discuss any students that we feel may be falling into one or more of these dangerous areas, which helps the school as a cohesive unit to stay on the same page while helping each student.

we have apolicy to call a student after they miss a day some time they change there nomber so that that someone cannot call ehem and forget to give the school new one or the instructor

What's the next step when a student changes their number without notifying the school? Is the instructor expected to follow up when the student returns to class?

Loren Kroh

Sign In to comment