Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Expectations and Satisfaction

What does your institution do to assure that student expectations are being met and that they are satisfied?

Instructors maintain open channels of communication with students for example calling a student at home when they have been absent two consecutive days without notice.

Jorge, what techniques do you use to maintain open channels with students?

Student Satisfaction Surveys are administered to each student every term. The results are compiled and analyzed to see in what areas we have met student expectations and in what areas we need to improve. Program Directors and the Director of Education follow up with individual students who have indicated in the survey they would like to meet to discuss issues or concerns they have.

I don't have office hours, instead I maintain an open door policy. I let students know that I am available to listen to any concerns they might have school related or otherwise.
Many of them open up to me and share things about themselves and their lives that are useful for heading of retention issues , but mostly I do it to better tailor my approach to their learning style. It gives me insight into how to better use references that they understand. Essentially if they come to see me while I am on campus I will listen to them as long as I feel is required, within reason. Sometimes this means that I go home an hour or two later than usual, but it is worth the time invested to me.

We meet with all first phase students at least every other week of their first phase. We talk to them about how things are going, and introduce them to the rest of the students in their first phase. All students in their first term go through a program callee VSTAR. In this program we teach them how to use their student portal and email, we talk to them about FA and career services, and we teach them how to use the Learning Resource Center.

We also have several events on campus each phase where all students get together for Student Appreciation or Nachos & News. We hold an awards ceremony each phase for the previous phase and we have weekly attedance challenges.

From day one we make sure the students understand we have an open door policy on campus and we want them to feel free to come in and talk to any staff or facutly member at any time. This works for some students and for some it seems as though they come to us a little too late when they are experiencing a hardship, but as we tell them if it's something we can't fix we will try to help you find someone that can fix the problem.

My institution does a good job in making sure the student is in the right program from the start. Next they monitor carefully the academic progress through attendance monitoring and classroom performance. There is also financial integrity that must accompany the student's performance. When conflicts do arise, proper individual counseling and support is provided.

Susan, how often do students ask to meet with the Program Director or Director of Education? Are there certain topics that they are likely to focus on?

Jorge, how often do students just stop by? What changes have you made to your teaching methodology based on your chats with students?

First of all, the admissions team is trained not to make any promises or make statements that are unreasonable. Then, the faculty and staff are all trained to work with students to understand their concerns and create ways to assist the student with them. Also, students get a chance after each class to give information on a student survey in order for the instructors to make improvements where necessary.

Sounds good, James. Is the training process for admissions, faculty and staff on-going? If so, what's the format? Do you have an intensive new employee training program?

The training is for all employees, as we are all part of the retention tools that can be effective on our students. This is part of the hiring (training) process so that everyone can have the same mentality going into this sector. If any one of the team fails to provide an empathetic atmosphere, then we all fail as a team, in my opinion.

It has been critical for my institution to have all departments collaborate on the messages we send to students. Often times prospective students aren't prepared academically, financially, and/or socially for the commitment needed to be successful. We try to address these issues up front by addressing them before students begin. Additionally, we hold regular product knowledge meetings between Academics and Admissions to ensure that any program or curriculum changes are communicated college-wide and to new students. Once students begin our support services work diligently to help students who may have issues. We conduct regular student surveys to ensure that students are satisfied and make changes based on the results.

Jacqueline, this sounds like an exemplary system. What are your retention rates and have they improved as you introduced these practices?

Our retention rates have improved as we have introduced these practices, but it is extremely time intensive and often frustrating. For those of us who really care, it is easy to experience burnout or take it personally when students don't meet us at least halfway.

Students complete instructor surveys every semester in addition to advisory board meetings. And in staff meetings student concerns brought to the attention of the staff as well.

We monitor students attendance closely and meet with them individually to discuss their situation.

I know what you mean, Jacqueline. Stay the course; the rewards as infrequent as they may be will make the effort all worthwhile.

John, who is responsible for the conversations with the students? What resources do they have available to improve attendance?

Thank you Loren. I have been staying the course for nearly 10 years, and will continue to do so.
I have been working individually for the last two weeks for hours at a time with a bilingual student on her statistics class. The other night after a 10 hour day of tutoring, when I was about at my limit the student brought me a home cooked dinner. I may talk a tough game, but the small rewards really do make the effort worthwhile.

Sign In to comment