Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Best Practices in Documentation | Origin: CS202

This is a general discussion forum for the following learning topic:

Best Practices in Graduate Employment Verification & Documentation --> Best Practices in Documentation

Post what you've learned about this topic and how you intend to apply it. Feel free to post questions and comments too.

The importance of writing accurate job descriptions for employment verification. 

It is important to have the correct job description to accurate report an employment verification. 

When documenting case notes, be complete with your actions, not vague and no slang.  For best practice, use MAPP Motive - Assessmemt - Progress - Plan

It is important to have clearcut guidelines for note taking.  I appreciated the MAPP-motive, assessment, progress, plan method.  

SOAP notes can be helpful when documenting notes on graduates. 

It is imperative to document accurately, timely, and objectively.  One can do this by utilizing the Motive, Assessment, Progress, Plan (MAPP) Model to document interactions with students. 

I have learned there are several important compnonents to consider and include when documenting a plcaement such as: custodian identifiaction, clear, time stampled, legible, permancen, acceptabele terminoolgy adn current. Thus, I will make sure not to use any abbreviations that are not universaly understooad and use a font and color that is easily legible. 

Clarity and relevance are important in note taking. We are not the sole audience of our case notes, and we need to be sure that our notes are satisfactory for all who may need to reference them.

An important lesson is to keep in mind your propsective audience when composing case notes, job descriptions to employer for both verification and to properly determine if student has been "placed."
Your audience may be legal professionals, regulatory agencies, or even the student.
Use a model to ensure uniformity, accuracy and legibility.

Documentation is key. If it wasn't documented it did not happen. It is best to write case notes as you go when they are fresh in your mind. You are to be detailed using the facts. You will use primarily objective language, but sometimes need to add in subjective comments from the student. When verifying employment writing job descriptions can be time consuming if not written properly. It is best to be detailed and mention all the KSA's in the description. You are to do so by providing all information as if the person reading the description is unfamiliar with the material. 

Student's record is a legal document. 

Do not use any slang, unknown acronyms or other info that is not universally known. When documenting, use precise and accurate words, date, time stamp and sign.

So far in my time as CDL Placement coordinator, I have done my best to be specific, and organized, however, I am learning there are much more effcient not to mention "better" methods of keeping notes and assessing student needs.
Going forward I will commit to using the SOAP model of note taking. Also, I will make better use of the information on Best Practices in terms of submitting for placement verification, by providing as much information as I can, in order to help the process be carried out more effcient and timely.

I like the SOAP model. My wife is a nurse and it turns out she uses SOAP daily. Having her perspective with this has been a huge help for me.

The importance of clear and accurate documentation and follow up plans with students and graduates.

This section is very enlightning because it gives good examples and reasoning as to why documenting is beneficial and how it can create documentation that can flow easily and can be practiced on a day to day basis. This can also legally cover the administrative work down the line. 

MAPP outline is a great way to organize information after interacting with students

When documenting or communicating,  being clear and precise is key. Using the MAPP outline is helpful when organizing. 

I learned some strategies for writing out job descriptions to be detailed, as well as the benefit of providing a case note model to improve consistency.

Job descriptions need to be very precise and detailed with the graduates skills if they are not they can be questionable whether or not it is a placement

An accurate documentation. 

Sign In to comment
Related Learning Opportunities