Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Career Identity Development | Origin: CS111

This is a general discussion forum for the following learning topic:

Providing Career Services for LGBTQ Students --> Career Identity Development

Post what you've learned about this topic and how you intend to apply it. Feel free to post questions and comments too.

Providing career services for LGBTQ is crucial because in the workplace, there are many ways that they can be discriminated against.  

Role models and mentors for LGBTQ members is extremely important.

Role models that represent employees, especially for LGBTQ, are priceless.

LGBTQ students may be behind their peers in the career development process because of their focus on thier sexual orientation or gender identity - providing addional support, possibly through use of a mentor, could be very helpful.  

I loved the suggestion of trying to connect LGBTQ students with a mentor.  Helping to build a support network is critical.  I also had never thought about the fact that LGBTQ students might need more career advising due to their identiy exploration.

Role Models are important

I learned that queer people may have delayed career development simply because they have focused much of their formative years understanding their identity and therefore, less time focused on career exploration.  Additionally, queer people have some additional concerns regarding employment pursuits.

I liked the review of mentors reflecting the mentee and what the benefits can be.  Otherwise at this point I am still feeling like this is a review.

Students need to visualize themselves in the workplace 

Sign In to comment
Related Learning Opportunities