Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Interpreting Law and Regulation | Origin: FA230

This is a general discussion forum for the following learning topic:

Financial Aid Management - Compliance without Compromise --> Interpreting Law and Regulation

Post what you've learned about this topic and how you intend to apply it. Feel free to post questions and comments too.

I have learned that it is important to stay within the written guidlines of the laws and regulations of FA and to not read between the lines on getting clarification. Err on the side of caution

Make sure to follow the law! And if the law conflicts of what you are going to do! Make sure to work with law to make it work with the institution. 

I learned to read slowly and pay attention the and or's in the context. 

Reviewing regulations from the source and various other sources, IE: handbook, and guidance is the best way to understand how a regulation will apply to your school 

We have a tendency to call ED to answer difficult questions. We assume that they are the experts. If we receive bad information from an inexperienced staff member and do something incorrectly, WE are at fault. It is better to learn to interpret the regulations on our own as we are ultimately responsible for our decisions and actions. Seeking guidance is fine, but should not be the sole basis for making difficult decisions. 

As a  Financial Aid Officer, you must abide by the written guidelines of the laws and regulations of FA and to not read between the lines on getting clarification. If you are not sure on a policy, ask and dont assume

I have learned that FAOs have to be meticulous about their work to comply with the existing laws

Never attempt to read between the lines of the law or regulation.

It is best to pay attention to laws and rules if not sure call the department for guidance

We have to have the guide  provided by the department of education follow the law and regulations and read to be updated with the new regulations 

Sign In to comment