Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Enrolling with Integrity | Origin: CM106

This is a general discussion forum for the following learning topic:

Creating a Compliant Culture: Do's and Don'ts --> Enrolling with Integrity

Post what you've learned about this topic and how you intend to apply it. Feel free to post questions and comments too.

I found the information regarding financial aid very informative. I did not realize that they can not assist a student in completion of the FAFSA. I tmakes sense that it could sway a student from providing accurate information! I also appreciated the example of the visual misrepresentation with the 300 students placed this year. It really put in to perspective how mindful you need to be to avoid misrepresenting your school or exaggerating. Selecting a school for higher education is an important decision and it is so crucial to act with integrity and being truthful in the realistic representation of the school or program the student is interested in.

The enrollment proccess is as uch to decide if a student is suitable for a school or program just as much as if the school or program is a right fit for the student. 

I remember when these regulations weren't enforced when I was considering a private University to attend. I specifically remember the school bad mouthing one another on pricing, programs, length, etc. In hindsight I wish I had these kinds of protections at the time.

When enrolling a student it's important to set realistic expectations, and make sure the student meets the necessary qualifications. We want to set the student up for success, not failure. 

Financial Aid regulations are incredibly specific and non-negotiable.  Realistic understanding of their role in the FA process is imperative.  Training of staff members to ensure they are doing their part in this process is also critical. 

There are numerous categories of misrepresentation which includes visual cues and phrases when putting promotional material out into the world. Cut the superlatives and go with documented facts. 

Many of the areas covered in this section warn us to stay away from using absolutes or guarantees. This is true in regards to employment, financial aid, and even facilities. You also want to avoid any verbiage in which you are creating comparisons with other schools. Misrepresentation is what you want to steer clear of, and also implying something that may be inaccurate.

Do not misrepresent the school,programs, financial aid, careers, or anything that guarantees. I also learned to stay away from answering any questions outside of my knowledge base such as first aid stuff and to guide them to the right answers. Along with first aid stuff we are absolutely not allowed to assist in any of the fasfa paperwork or financial paperwork at all. Not even guide them. We want the best for our students set with all the right expectations and no over promises or false promises.

Our school mamangement makes clear to all employees the importance or permissible language and competitive integrity. So much so, the dos and don'ts are part of our culture. Meetings are held periodically to discuss questions raised and appropriate responses to said questions. If you are not a subject matter expert, refer the individual to someone who can help. Learn the values of saying, "I do not know, but will refer you to someone who can help." 

No question, operating ethically throughout the enrollment process is a must.

I think the biggest takeaway from this module is that all of these regulations are in place to, in the end, help the students succeed, which is what we are here for. We don't want to use deceptive practices or misleading language 1) because it violates standards and rules, but also 2) because we want to make sure our students have the best experience possible. It is critical to uphold all standards and regulations in regards to the admissions process, and if those rules feel tedious we just have to remember that we are trying to set our students up for success, not failure, by giving them accurate information or directing them to the right people to help them.

The biggest takeaway for me is, integrity is NOT an option, we need to have the best interest for the potential student even if that means NOT enrolling them.

Integrity must be the foundation of all actions, and ensures the good standing of the school. 

Being transparent and honest as an admissions representative is Integrity's primary task.

Being honest is a top priority in admissions. You must be honest with students without guaranteeing too much. There is a fine line and it cannot be crossed.

Integrity is the foundation to a compliance department and institution. 

Learn about financial aid. Personal dedicated to help students with proper documentation will understand any wrong entry may disqualify the student. 

Inappropriate to offer any incentive to prospective students as motivation to enroll in the program. 

This a very good chapter on enrollment with integrity. There are several crucial factors the admissions reps must conform to -- chief among them is: Disclosing school information with transparency, and not using superlatives or exaggeration when representing the school offering or facilities or staff or instructors. It is also very important that Financial Aid representatives follow the policies of the USDOE, such as not obtaining the student's FSA Id, and making sure that the student is truthful in filling in info on FAFSA. Admissions should not be venturing to give info about financial aid and should refer to financial aid for that purpose.

Sign In to comment