Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

it must be remember –a commercial email is not necessarily a mass email. Other emails can be considered commercial and therefore must include all of the same requirements such as vaild and identifable “to” “from” and “reply to,” an informative subject line, clearly indicated as an avertisement, and the “opt out” clause to be honored within 10-days. The majority of emails my office deal with relate to financial aid issues and are one on one. Periodically, we send mass emails encouraging students to complete documents such as the FAFSA which we will confer with our IT department prior to sendng in the future.

The most important item I learned about emailing students is to include in your message a clear and conspicuous explanation of how the recipient can "opt out" of receiving future e-mails. I believe this is a great option because it will help differentiate the interested students against the ones that are no longer interested. I will use this in the future to manage my time better.

Priscilla,

Thanks for sharing what you have gained through this course. It is rewarding to know that you are taking away new knowledge.

Cindy Bryant

I will make sure my physical address is on every email I send out.

The most surprising aspect are the number of rules that must be followed when emailing especially the fact that postal addresses and opt out options needs to be included in all cases.

William,

Yes, there are many federal guidelines that governs communication as related to business entities. Once you know them and understand them you can create a template that contains all of the critical elements and put your mind to rest.

Cindy Bryant

The most important thing I learned about emailing students is that the full postal address must be on every email. I was not aware of that.

Nicole,

I am happy that you have been able to identify an important take-a-way from the course. THanks for sharing.

Cindy Bryant

Im agree with you, email is the best way to get a contact to the students as well you can have all the coversation in your record in case you need it some day.

I would have to say that the single most important item ive learned about emailing students is having to insure that the physical address is in the email.

The single most important item I learned today was the fact that we must ensure to honor any inquiries "opt out" requests within ten business days. Following through with these important requests in a timely manner is how we will establish our reputation and respect their requests. This really opened my mind to be more proactive and ensuring this process is being followed in a timely manner at our campus.

Iza,

The opt-out opportunity is a very important part of the process. I am glad that you were able to pick up tips from the course.

Cindy Bryant

emailing is good because when students move from one address to another you still have comunicayion with student

we only respond to messages from prospective students. we do not use e-mails as a marketing or solicitation tool.
Thankfully, most students are seeking our program out so we are in a good situation to make sure we remain compliant with all contact regulations

I'm surpised by how many restrictions there are....and how much information must be disclosed at the outset. I'm not in the Admissions Department at my school, so I don't send out very many emails, but I'm still suprised by how much their is to know and adhere to.

I didn't know about the opt out process after 90 days...so this is so important, as well as having the physical address in all email communication

Gary,

Yes, it is important to have all of the key components in every email that may appear to be solicitous; opt out, physical address and return email address.

Cindy Bryant

the subject line being very descriptive

I learned that you need to include a postal address as well and information on how to opt out of receiving emails from our school. Knowing this I can include this information in future emails.

I didn't realize that I need to put the postal address on there. That is good information to know.

Sign In to comment