Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Always check with your superiors or refer to your school catalog when you have a question for guidance. IF you are not sure it is always better to ask.

Sandra,

Understanding the companies policies is important in order to be able to respond to student questions. It is important that an employee be able to respond not only quickly but also factually.

Cindy Bryant

As a new employee it is important for me to understand that it's ok not to have the answers at this point. It's far better to admit ignorance than to get one's self and institution into trouble.

I would advise a new employee to not make anything up. If they can't verify the information based on the resources provided to them then they should not say it to the student.

I would encourage the new employee to do any onboarding or training the college has to offer. Ask specific questions of the Dean or supervisor. Always tell the truth. Do not embellish. If you are unsure of a question a student ask you, be honest. Tell that student you will get the information and get back with them.

Heather,

Thank you for the solid advice.

Cindy Bryant

I would advise new employee to stick to only the facts that are documented and updated in the school catalog. if they do not know the answer, be honest with prospect and get them the answer as soon as possible from direct superior.

Remember the stock answer, "I am not sure about that, let me check with administration regarding this, and I will get back to you soon with your answer".

I would encourage a new employee to thoroughly study our material and to only provide answers that are verifiable and accurate. If there is any doubt, ask, clarify, but never create or embellish!

Fabian,

Using the catalog as a blueprint to avoid misrepresentation is an excellent practice.

Cindy Bryant

Do not make false advertising, do not lie to the student and always based on the catalog of the institution.

I would let him or her know not to state anything that they are not sure of. I would also tell him to ask me if they are not sure.

Asmir,

Misrepresentation can occur intentionally or unintentionally. Sometimes it is impossible to be 100% sure that you are giving the correct response. I would recommend that you always leave the student with "While I believe this is the correct answer I would feel better if we confirm this with the department head." This type of statement allows a maargin for error.

Cindy Bryant

I have to agree with Andrew. However, I would add that the employee is allowed to reference materials such as the school's catalog, NCES, and disclosure material to provide fact driven responses. Never embelish, just stick to what the school can document. I used to tell my new employees that if they are asked a question that they feel they uncomfortable with or are not informed enough about like admissions or academics, don't try to answer it. Simply let the student know you don't know but will be happy to find someone who could better assist them. Then, take the student to someone in the appropriate department and see if they can help the student.

I would let the employee to stick to the facts and the core of the mission of the educational institution. I would provide the resources, like fact sheets, institutional catalogs, and other relevant program information that is supported by appropriate disclosures and notices. I would also let them know it is ok to say "I don't know, let me get back to you on that particular item". Better to stick to the facts and fact finding that inadvertantly mispresenting.

I would tell them learn your programs or products well. If you dont an answer dont make one up just ask someone.

As many have stated, I would suggest that if they don't know something, to ask a senior level employee. It is better to ask for help that misrepresent the school. I would also suggest to research such things as ferpa guidelines, fafsa guidelines, and any other pertinent information related to the school. This would help them learn of the different regulations as well.

As a representative we always need to refer to our catalog and never be afraid to ask when we don’t know. It is better to admit that we don’t have information, but we will find it for them.

Omar,

Admissions associates are especially vulnerable to misrepresentation. You deal with an inordinate amount of information (entire catalog)and the opportunity to err is higher than a person that deals with one department or a specific program.

Cindy Bryant

Yes I agree we should always provide accurate information if information is unknown, we should refer the student to appropriate dept or find out the information and get back to them but never shall we mislead or try to come up with an answer.

Sign In to comment