Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

I would first make sure they have adequate orientation and have read and understand all regulations regarding disclosure of information. I would also provide them with a list of FAQ's and appropriate and inappropriate answers so they fell confident until they are more experiences.

I would let them know it will take time to learn the answer to all the manner of questions that will arise and that the should not fell inadequate or that they have to give a correct answer, we are all human...as most others have said that it is find to say you do not know the answer but will find out for them. In this litigation crazy super regulated society it always better to be safe.

Bernadette,

Hi, providing your employees with the do's and don'ts is an excellent strategy. Role playing is critical to understanding how to handle challenges and obstacles that may arise.

Cindy Bryant

Do not discuss potential salaries. Mention the fact that an institution can be held accauntable and fined for misleading statements. Honesty is the best policy.

Lino,

Salaries after graduation are a potential area of misrepresentation. It is important to rely on your institutions documented salaries when speaking with future students.

Cindy Bryant

First,I would advise the new employee to become familiar with the institutions policies, regarding the disclosure requirements of the institution pertaining to: Recruitment Activities, Referencing Job Placement, Program Expectations and Outcomes, Conduct considered to be inappropriate and the Institutions relationship with State and Federal Agencies, if applicable. Second, I would, conduct a role play scenario, with the new employee representing the institution and myself as a prospective student. After the role play, I would conduct an after action review with the new employee, to go over what was an appropriate representation of the institution versus one that was a misrepresentation of the institutions policies. Finally, I would advise them to take this course.

David,

Welcome to the forum! It sounds as if you have a solid strategy for avoiding misrepresentation. Understanding your institutions policies and procedures is the gateway to providing accurate information. Role playing solidifies what the employee has learned. Great response!

Cindy Bryant

As a new employee I would always advise them that if they do not know the answer then to ask their manager who has more experience then them with the policies and procedures. I would also encourage the new employee to check with the employee handbook on all rules and regulations of the college. I would also suggest that the employee provide accurate and detailed information to the student along with factual data.

I think that our college does a good job with having the employees dig deeper with the student in order to get specific information from the student on what their specific goals are for obtaining a college degree.

Heather,

For a new employee you have done an excellent job of outlining critical steps to avoid misrepresentation.

Cindy Bryant

My advice would include not sharing invalid information. If the person doesn't have an answer to the students question or inquiry, then simply state that and try to find an answer for the student or prospective student. It is important to remember that honesty is the absolute best policy. Do not try to increase your student enrollment by giving false or misleading information.

My first and important advice to my new employee will be that you have to go through some training with the senior staff members,must read company's policy and proedure, must read school catalog and understand and digest them.Always remember you are not representing yourself you are representing school and school have to follow many rules and regulations if not school may loose their accreditation or law suits involved. If unsure for any questions get answers from who may have it in the school.

vinod,

Hi! This is great advice for new employees. Another option is to consider assigning new employees a mentor.

Cindy Bryant

It would always be my advice to a new employee to ask questions of a supervisor or another employee before potentially answering a question incorrectly.

I would encourage new employees to be proactive and learn as much as possible about the institution through the college website, catalog, and student handbook. We also implement role-playing during training - providing different situations/questions employees may experience on the job. In addition, we strongly encourage employees to ask questions when in doubt to ensure correct information is communicated.

Teri,

Hi! I really support the idea of role playing during training. It enables the employees to have real life experiences.

Cindy Bryant

I would always recommend new employees to learn as much about the school as possible before speaking with any students. In addition to that, new employees need to know it is ok to ask questions. Answering student questions incorrenctly is far worse than not answering the student and getting back to them with accurate and honest information.

Guessing is never the way to go. If a student asks a question that you don't know the answer to, be sure to take the time to contact another employee knowledgable in that area to get the correct response or to research the topic on your own and verify what you've found with a manager to ensure you have the correct info.

Adam,

How do you feel that your schools training plan encourages employees to learn as much as possible.

Cindy Bryant

Brendan,

A mentoring program is a great way to go to help new employees acclimate to new systems. This way new employees have a "go to" person.

Cindy Bryant

If I were giving advice to a new hire, I would suggest avoiding generalized and quantitative statement such as ,"We have the best gym", "Everyone loves our school" and "Most people find jobs in this field". It is always better to say, "I don't know, but I know how to find out" and consult their resources to give the most accurate information to students and prospective students.

If a new employee was not 100% sure about a question posed by a prospective student I always advise them to tell the student that they don't want to give them any wrong information and will call them back when they have a definitive answer for them.

Sign In to comment