Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

My advice is if a rep is not sure about how to accurately address and students question, they should advise the student they will check on that information and follow up with them at a later time to ensure compliance.

its always best to play it safe..if you don't know don't answer - better to say I honestly don't know but will find the correct answer for you then to mislead and misrepresent.

Heather,

"Playing it safe" is part of maintaining a compliant environment. It is certainly acceptable not to know the answer to a question especially if it means the difference between giving the correct or the incorrect answer.

Cindy Bryant

I also agree with Andrew. It is never a good idea to make up information just to be able to answer a student's questions. The better idea is to reply with "I'm sorry but I don't have the answer to that question. Let me find out for you."

I would let the new employee know that these are people and people do not want to be sold/ lied to. You want to earn their trust and be as honest as you can with them.

I always suggest everyone giving information to students to make sure they are giving correct and accurate information and to seek help if they don't know the answer to a question. In ocasions I like to direct students to resources to that would better help them make their own decision.

Jassmen,

The only way to earn a students trust is through transparency and assisting them in meeting their stated goals. Trust is very fragile and can be lost so quickly. Once a student feels betrayed it is near impossible to regain their trust.

Cindy Bryant

If you don't know it then don't guess. Tell the person you will get someone who knows or get back to them when you can find the answer.

I would tell the new employee to be aware of all the compliance rules that are associated with their position so that they do not end up saying the wrong thing. Awareness is key in this situation, and the only way to be full aware is to be fully knowledgeable about the situation.

Advice I would give to any new employee would be if you don't know the answer NEVER give out a reply. Look either in the manuel or ask the director of the school. I can not expres enough to employees that we need to talk in truth at all times to all students current or prospective.

The advice I would give would be to let the prospective student know all of the facts relevant to the school and enrollment. DO not throw in your own opinion or the opinion of others because that may be seen as a guarantee of some sort.

I would share with a new employee that our institution's integrity is, in essence, a sum of it's parts. The impression that we leave on our students is made by one interaction at a time with everyone that they come in contact with. I would share the importance of transparency and honesty in all student interactions to ensure that our coworkers are looking at compliance and institutional integrity as a personal responsibility.

You need to make sure your folks are trained properly and role play different scenarios.

Sign In to comment