Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

The bar I set is that we do not exaggerate. The best policy is to state the facts simply. I find that the use of exaggeration is 1)unnecessary, 2) comes off as desperate (never a good thing), 3) misleading, and sets up a relationship based on premises that are not strictly true. I believe that staff must model the behaviors that we encourage our students to develop. With integrity, comes a sense of ease and empowerment. There is an innate right of the individual to NOT be coerced. We have the fiduciary responsibility of not abusing the power differential in our admissions practices.

Renee,

Thank you for sharing your opinion with the forum. You raised great points!

Cindy Bryant

Be sure about any information you give out about the school. If you don't know, let the student know that you are unsure, but will find out for them, that way you are not on the spot feeling like you need to answer a question that you don't know they answer to.

I would advise them to never answer any question on a hunch. Even if you are relatively certain that you know the answer. Don't be afraid to say " I don't know but I will get you the information". Especially in an ever-changing environment it is easy for even an longstanding employee to miss something.

Todd,

You are on point. Encourage employees to consult the catalog, disclosures, website and/or policy manuals prior to answering a question that they are slightly unfamiliar with.

Cindy Bryant

I also tell new and current employees that "I don't know, let me check into that" is acceptable. It is never ok to tell a student information that "could be true" because it may be inaccurate.

I would tell a new employee to make accurate (100%)representation of the utmost importance because this a life changing decision that you don't want students to be making unless they know all the correct facts. I would also recommend continually refreshing your knowledge on the institution so you know you are imparting the truth. Also, never be afraid to say you don't know, but I would love to find out for you/or introduce you to someone that does.

Kyle,

You are offering new employees great advice. It is apparent that you take your position and the student's future very seriously. Bravo!

Cindy Bryant

Take ongoing training such as this to ensure understanding of regulations. Tell them if they are unsure of an answer to a question state that fact to the candidate students and let them know you will find out. This is the optimal response. Guessing is not.

My first suggestion for a new employee is to read and study the catalog and the website. We take pride in consistency between them and following our accrediting agency and state regulations, we edit them often. While it is true the verbal statements are also accountable, we as employees often quote our written material and when learning, staff rely on them. Also any observation of the new staff made by an experienced employee should be discussed and shared. It can be uncomfortable but when routine, makes for great consistency as well.

Patricia,

Hi! Welcome to the forum. Reading and understanding the catalog is critical. It is important that students understand that the catalog is an extension of their enrollment agreement. Thanks for sharing.

Cindy Bryant

We can and do provide on-going training to our reps as well as contracting with outside parties to "mystery shop" our admissions to check that we are practicing what we have taught.

Larry,

Hi! Welcome to the forum. Many schools have added "Mystery Shoppers" to their training initiatives. Mystery Shopping can be highly effective provided it is monitored closely. What I mean is that it must be monitored on both sides, shopper and school representative. Thank you for sharing your practices to avoid misrepresentation.

I would say to them, don't be afraid to ask questions from the more experienced people if you don't know the answer to a question. I would also learn the statistics of the school so that you are not giving out wrong information.

Kevin,

Welcome to the forum! Relying on your experienced team members is a wonderful way to gain knowledge about the school. Many schools provide new employees a mentor to help them adjust to the environment. Thanks for participating.

Cindy Bryant

I am actually training a new employee now who has been with us for about a month so this is a fitting question. I told him to always refer to catalog and to never be afraid to ask for help. I also always tell him to never guarantee anything employment or financial aid etc. I use words such as if eligble or if qualified. According to the US Bureau of Labor Statistics etc. We as Admissions reps. get asked alot how much do you make? I always respond depends on the company and the region or experience. Many companies in our industry pay different ways by the mile or by a percentage of the weight of the load or by the hour.

Richard,

Hello again. Your response is perfect. Bravo!

Cindy Bryant

I would say "just the facts, ma'am!" Stick to what you can do for them, and remain positive.

Janice,

Great quote! You cannot go wrong with a facts only approach.BUT is this always possible. At times students may draw you into a conversation that will take a different direction. You may be challenged to to provide more information than you would care too. Always be prepared to provide additional information in the right context. :)

Cindy Bryant

I would let them know that it is all right to say to a propective student that you may not know the answer to something. Saying "I don't know, but I will find out" or "I can direct you to the department that would know that answer" is way better than making something up that would be misleading or false.

In this industry, we need to be careful about what we say and how we put it and to not misrepresent anything. Making sure we say things such as - according to, based on, you may be eligible or qualify for, etc.

Sign In to comment