Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Competitive Advantages

If a student asks you how your institution compares to another competitive institution, what is a good way to respond to the question?

I believe that it is now time to be transparent. you never compare your school to another's. you give the information about your school, and let the prospective student decide.

I might reply "My job here is to help you make the best decision. I would suggest sitting down with our catalog, the other school's catalog, and comparing information yourself. I can answer any questions you have about our program."

Joseph,
I believe that this is a great response. What effect do think this will have on your prospective student?

Linda,
You are absolutley correct, transparency is necessary. As long as the student has all of the information they will make the right decision.

After reviewing your other schools you can simply compare what our school offers. I can tell all you need to know about our particular program(s). This allows you to make the best decison in continuing with your education.

Jeffrey,
This is an excellent solution for the competition regulations.

As a result of the new federal consumer disclosure requirements that are being implemented on July 1st, I suspect that admissions reps will be getting more school comparison questions related to the information contained in the disclosures since it will be easier for students to access comparable data on graduation rates, placement rates, net price, etc.

Schools will probably need to prepare admissions reps for these types of questions and how to properly answer questions about "Why is your grad rate/placement rate/etc.. worse than XYZ school down the street."

Hi John,
You are absolutely correct. This will be an obstacle to overcome for some schools. Have you thought about how you will handle the challenge?

I WOULD SUGGEST THAT THE PROSPECTIVE STUDENT COMPARE EACH SCHOOL'S INFORMATION, AND CHOOSE THE SCHOOL THAT WILL BEST SUIT THEIR NEEDS. I WOULD OFFER THAT I AM AVAILABLE TO DISCUSS AND ANSWER ANY QUESTIONS THEY MAY HAVE, CONCERNING OUR SCHOOL!

I think the best way to respond to this question is to ask additional questions to get a better feel for what the prospective student is really interested in because it’s not that one institution is better than another, but programs are different. For example, a student that is not good at overcoming obstacles and managing their time may not be the best fit for an online format and think that an on campus environment is “better.” By asking digging, open-ended questions you can better serve the students by guiding them to the program where they can be the most successful.

Justina,

This is good advice. Through spending time with your students and asking the right questions you will be able to help them find the perfect academic fit.

Cindy Bryant, Facilitator

I usually tell the student I can't speak for other colleges or universities, but I can share with them what my school has to offer, and allow them to decide how we commpare.

I would let them know I am able to share all the information I have in relation to our own institution. I would recommend for comparison, that they research other institutions including a campus visit so they are able to personally do a fair and complete comparison between institutions.

Jeanne,

Now that many campuses are now encouraging students to research other campuses there should be an impact on retention rates. If a student is making a fair and equal comparison then they should be able to determine exactly which school is the best fit for them. This process eliminates the potential for future misunderstandings.

Cindy Bryant

I would reply that all schools have many things to offer and that each individual should review a schools curriculum, visit the school and perhaps talk with some current students and graduates to understand if the type of educational experience they offer is what that person is looking for.

I would explain that they can view a variety of schools offerings on the internet and help them locate other schools websites so they could compare our school to what others offer and make an informed decision.

As far as comparing our school to to others I would state the " all schools in our state need to meet a common set of curriculum guidelines to operate in the state. Schools differ in how these are met. I can show the required subject areas and explain how our school meets the requirements but it would be best to talk to an admissions person at the school you ask about to get an accurate description of how that school meets the requirements and the structure of their program."

Bernadette,

Great response! I am not sure what state you are from but standardized curriculum may level the playing field. I encourage people to make their own decisions based on their own research.

Cindy Bryant

I believe the school speaks for itself. I will answer any questions the prospective student might have and I encourage that person to do their research and compare. I feel doing this makes the person more appreciative because you’re putting their best interest first rather than you just trying to get an enrollment.

First of all I believe that a student choosing the right major with the program that they want to take is the first initial step. For example if a student would like to become a nurse it is wrong to state that we have a healthcare administration program to their fit their needs. I would advise the student that they first have to have a realistic outlook on what program and degree they would like to complete. Then I would have the student idenitfy which college would best fit their needs according to the program and the cost of the program. I would then ask the student to make the best decision after examining all options available to the student.

Heather,

Developing a relationship built on trust is important. Prospective students need solid information regarding their career. Not every career fits every person and vise-versa. They need admissions experts to best assist them with that decision.

Cindy Bryant

Sign In to comment