Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

I would encourage that student to do as much research as they can on each school. Then to compare their notes as well as the school's catalogs and decide which is the best fit for them from there. I would then make sure they knew that I would be there to answer and and all qustions they have about our particular programs.

I agree with you i think it would be best for the prospective student to sit down with our school catalog and the other schools catalog to see which would best fit there schedule and needs. As we always do we let them know that if they have any questions or concerns they can contact us.

Fortunately for us we don't get this question too often but when it does come up I make it a rule to put the question back on the student. In other words, if you would like to learn more about another school, I recommend that you talk to that school directly and then make an informed decision as to which school you prefer. I would rather have that student visit another school, and possibly choose that school over mine, then enroll them in my school if this school isn't their best option.

I agree with this statement. Its up to the student to make the best decision for them. They should sit down with all of the schools catalogs and just see which will best suite there schedule and needs. I would let them know that if they have any questions or concerns they are more than welcome to call anytime or stop by.

My answer is always the same , I can tell them about what WE offer , I do not compare or bash any other school. I can tell them the benefits of our school and let them see for themselves on a tour. I encourage them to do research on several schools to make sure they have the right fit.

Gina,

Sharing your colleges advantages with students is a great marketing tool. Competitive advantages give a college an edge over its competition and an ability to generate greater value for the college and its students. The more sustainable the competitive advantage, the more difficult it is for competitors to neutralize the advantage.

Cindy Bryant

I would inform the student of our program cost as well as our features and benefits. Furthermore, I would encourage them to be a informed consumer and obtain all relative information and visit other institutions so that they could make an informed comparison. I would also provide the student all relative information they may request to compare institutions. Lastly, I would reiterate that they should select the institution that is the best fit for them and where they can see themselves completing their academic programs and graduating.

I think the best way to respond to this would be to tell the student that we can only talk about our school and tell them what we have to offer and go over the rules and regulations that we have. I always recommend students to do their own research on schools and see what school best fits them and then make a discion as to where to go.

I normally tell them to make alist of the things that they are looking for in an institution. Then inquire in diffrent schools, and compare them to the list they initially created. The school that best fits their needs should be the one they attend.

I believe that it is important to focus on and limit answers to the benefits of what our school and program offer then let the student do his due diligence for comparing the curriculums in order to make the best choice for him/her.

depending on the situation, I will tell the person to become a "student for a day" I will get them a pass to sit in class and simply observe.

They can ask other students questions and get feedback from them. Additionally, I inform them that my goal for them is to find a program that makes sense for them based on their particular goals. I leave the comparisons up to them advising them to consider our schools track record.

Sometimes I would advise them to do a little reverse engineering but contacting employers in the industry and getting feedback from them as to what they look for as far as credentials are concerned. I find that most students are satisfied with that answer.

The best way to respond is with objective, rather than subjective, information. For example, we can assume the job placement rate data is publicly available for each school. Using an objective analysis, a response could be something like:
"Our job placement rate of alumni is 92%, while the other program you mention is 75%".

The idea being that we could stay away from conjecture and denigration of a competitor. Rather, simply share the data and let the prospective student make an informed decision.

Of course, this approach works best when your college has the advantage. Data can still be used, however, to support your premise, such as:
"Our job placement rate is 75%, which is a 10% increase from last year. Our competitor is at 92%, but we are moving in the right direction.

Eduardo,
I think the "Student for the Day" idea is very good. It allows the students to get a feel for what your school has to offer without disparaging the other colleges.

Cindy Bryant

I'll usually ask what criteria they are looking to compare, specifically. And how will they quantifiably measure that information? If they are unsure -- usually the case -- I can provide expert guidance on things to look for, based on their important items, i.e. accreditation, completion times, total program cost, etc.

Our institution does not talk about other schools regardless if we think it is a great scgool or not. We always tell students that we can discuss our school and how it runs and if they need other information anout another school thay they should look around at other schools and take notes and do a comparison and pick a school that best fits them.

Greg,

Bravo! It is very important to ask those probing questions when it comes to comparative analysis.

Cindy Bryant

At our Academy we do have a known portion of our program that we know is not offered at any other school in the area. As the Director of Admissions I have set up admissions meetings at surrounding schools that offer the same programs to understand how their programs work and how we are different. In an admissions meeting I explain to them what we have to offer them and tell them to explore the surrounding programs and see which program would be a better fit regarding multiple areas of consideration and choose the best one for their situation. I am always available to answer and questions or concerns they may have.

Janel,

It is nice that the other schools in the areas are open to you coming in and sharing your unique program with their associates. It is also great that you are available to answer your associates and students questions.

Cindy Bryant

I would let the student know that I am knowledgeable about my institutions programs; however, I could not accurately provide information about another institution. Then, I would highly encourage the student to conduct research about, or reach out to, other institutions so information could be gathered and compared based on the students needs. I would ask the student to let me know which institution he/she chose based on the research conducted, if willing to do so, so that I would have insight that may be useful in my weekly meetings (for competitive reasons). I am confident in my institutions offerings, but I understand my institution is not the best fit for every student.

Sign In to comment