Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

I would encourage the student to visit the other institution to decide for him or herself which institution best suits their needs.

Whenever someone asks me about another college I do my best not to speak about the other institution at all. Instead I try to focus on the different competative advantages that we have and focus on the things that my college does well or shows strenght in.

What makes us different is what I focus on, instead of talking about another institution I don't know anything about.

Amy,

Competition always makes us better. It forces us to perform at a higher level through continuous improvement of our curriculum and systems. It is an advantage to be able to "proudly" talk about your campuses strengths.

Cindy Bryant

Whenever asked questions such as these, I like to highlight of the benefits of our program. I also like to provide as much information about our program.When doing this, I explain that I feel it is my job to help them make the best decision concerning their education. I try to allow the student to review the information I have given, and I commit to follow up with them within a few days.

My response to this question would simply be to state the benefits of the program that we offer that the student is interested in. Since my knowledge of the other institution's program would be very limited I would be providing the student with false information based on the comparision between our institution and the competing institution. I believe that if I can provide the student with the best knowledge and information regarding our program and the benefits that we offer then I am doing the best that I can to ensure that the student is receiving all the best and most honest information.

Sean,

Thank you for your great response.

Cindy Bryant

Since our school is designed to attract students nationally, we focus on asking students who they know in their home community they might like to practice with in the future. This gets them thinking about building their own business and the people they know whom they may wish to hire.

Schools are compared every day as a product by students. Schools, like every other product, have different qualities that make them marketable and interesting to different student types. When a student asks me to compare another school it is always my job to identify what exactly they are comparing. Are they worried about cost, instruction, etc? Once i establish what exactly the student is interested in learning more about I always highlight the benefits of our school in that area. Never is it appropriate to make negative comments about another school.

Nancy,

This makes perfect sense. This is great way to prepare these students for moving forward.

Cindy Bryant

Bree,

Thank you for your explanation. This is a fail proof way to ensure students are looking at the appropriate comparables.

Cindy Bryant

I would reply with the facts and historical data about my institution only. Then follow this up with informing a student that they need to also do their own research. They should sit down with our schools info and others they are looking at and compare to see which one would be the best fit for them in the long run.

When a student asks me how my instititution compares to other I like to ask them exactly in what aspect and then I go into detail about what our institution has to offer and what's good about those things. I also tell them that it's important for them to sit down with all of our information and compare it to other schools and then make an informed decision on their own without any major sway on my part.

In this situation I would tell the student that my job is to help you make the best educational decision that will benefit them the most and then go into what we offer as a University and them let do research on the other colleges to compare.

I would respond with questions to get a better understanding of what the student is looking for in a school. Let them know the benefits that according to what they have told me would help them. Give them recommendations as far as what i can see them doing give them different cataloges of the courses and majors we have here and suggest the student takes time out to look at the other school as well. Take the student on a tour so they know what they are looking forward to at our school. Sit them down again then ask if they have seen how we can benefit them personally have them call me after they have been in contact with the other institution so we could find what is best for them and what will be best to change their future. Let the student know that its not about what i think is best for them but what they believe is besat for themselves to change their lives.

I believe that to be transparent we should never compare our school reputation - statistics with another. We should provide any and all documented information related to our institution and let the prospective student make an informed decision.

I would respond by saying " that is a good question, I would direct the student to our website and let her know what our accrediations are and inform the studnt to research our school and let her make her own comparison.

I would respond by saying: "I'm not familiar enough with the other school to offer a comparision. What I CAN do is give you all the information about our school, so that you can make a well informed choice."

Laura,

Welcome to the forum. This sounds like a great response!

Cindy Bryant

I emphasize general education courses to enhance the student's ability to write, perform math functions and ability to speak in front of crowds. Other institutions do not include these in their curriculum.

Patricia,

Hi! This a great advantage for those students who are seeking a more well rounded experience. These basic functions are critical in creating a professional persona.

Cindy Bryant

Sign In to comment