Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

I think there are at least two options to get referral given the new restrictions:
1. Bring a friend to school day and/or
2. Directly asking current student to refer someone (also contacting students that has successfully completed the program).

Is it ok to ask prospective students for referrals?

"Bring a friend day" and referral drives done by campuses should still be within the new DOE guidelines. My question now is regrading calling these students without checking the DNC list?

Bring a freind to school week. Someone who might be interested in the same or similar program.All the new requirements could be presented to the prospective students. This way the informations would not have to be given by phone or by mail.

We utilize the following:
Bring a Friend to School Day
Asking a student for a referral at time of enrollment

when enrolling a student ask if they know any friends that would also be interested in attending school

I would ask the prospective student to bring in a family member or friend with them when they come in to get information. Asking our personal friends and family members to pass out business cards to individuals who may be interested in the course of study.

yes, this is the best practice. simply ask if they know someone that can be interested in any of the programs. Bring a friend day is always a good idea.

Any method used can not misrespresent whether "courses are recommended or have been the subject of unsolicited testimonials or endorsements. An institution can not portray in any way that a current student recommends and endorses that institution's programs or courses, without that student's consent. So say, if a photographer was taking photos of students on campus and then those photos were used in a commercial protraying the students in the photos as satisfied and recommending the school to others, and all of this without the willing consent of the students, this would be misleading.

Alex - excellent point you raise. If those referrals are on the DNC list, you cannot call them without their approval. Some schools have processes (including use of third party systems/procedures) to have referrals "opt in" or otherwise indicate their interest in being contacted to qualify for the guideline enabling such contact despite being on the DNC directory listing.

Asking for referrals is acceptable. As noted in some discussion threads, you must check to ensure the referral is not on the DNC list before calling them since they did not directly request information. Also, you cannot provide a gift or compensation to the individual referring someone.

Marie - Great suggestions! I particularly like the idea to invite former grads to all school functions.

Gaylne - I am glad you point out the need to check the DNC list when you receive a referral.

We can have open house where students friend are welcome to take a tour of our campus, and see what out program is about

Cynthia - your approach in making students proud of their school is great to see. I like this positive reinforcement - it probably helps with retention in addition to identifying referrals.

We stay in contact with some of our graduates that become employed and invite them to share their sucess stories on the scools facebook page.

As soon as students enroll ask for a referral because students are excited about the new journey they will begin. it will also be exciting to have a buddy begin the same journey as well

School Fairs /Bring a friend day / Active students are all good ways of getting referrals. When making the 1st appointment ask the prospective student to think about bringing any family or friends along with them.

Bring a student to scool Day. And Refer a friend.

I agree that one of the best methods of seeking refferals is from happy students, but also from happy successful graduates. These 2 groups often voluntarily refer and even provide testimonals to family, friends, and even to strangers they may overhear are interested in a similar programs from they are or have completed.

Sign In to comment