Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

The media wanted to catch our attention with a fraud case causing a negative impact on other schools and also causing a review on the regularoty environment. It would be great if the media worked the same way focusing on good news. I am with a career institute and know that we have to comply with very strict regulations, the same as community colleges or universities. Even though there might be the idea that community colleges or universities are better, I believe we offer the pratical training people need for programs like the ones we offer.

Because our programs are short, students end up with loans that they have to pay back, and I believe the majority of our students are people who are working hard to prepare themselves on a short period of time to go out there and do something in life, be able to support their families, and pay their loans back.

Agreed that it would be great to see more media pieces on the "good news". I encourage all to engage with the media by providing positive news pieces. Even if they are not always utilized, don't give up! Sometimes they don't make the cut just because of the volume of "hot news" for the day but on another day, it may make it! Graduation, spotlights on students/graduates, and employers hiring graduates all make for positive news. Community services and other initiatives can also be a good way to share some good news.

The social and regulatory trends are undeniable, but investments and strategies should not be based on short-term social or political fads. Being informed of the larger trends as well as the specific regulatory developments can give firms better information to help them make better and earlier strategic investment decisions. A better understanding of the broader context will help executives focus on how external forces are shaping the regulatory environment.

The media influence to the regulatory environment is a small blip on the radar. Regulators are focused on what's currently happening and why it is happening with an attempt to keep major issues under control. Most media stories are focused on what people want to hear but not necessarily what they need to know. The regulators certainly pay attention to the media but I really don't believe the issues that are published come as a surprise.

I have heard both perspectives on this "chicken and egg" debate on if regulations are impacted by media or if media reports are a result of enforced regulations. Regardless, it seems as though, like any industry, the public perception can be influenced by what they hear/see in the media which may only paint a picture of the "news worthy" items vs. the full scope of what the industry does that includes positive, but often less news-worthy activities/benefits.

The media has focused its attention on for profit schools in a negative manner. This has lead to for profit schools to become even more heavily regulated and scrutinized than the public or private non-profit schools. As a result, for profit schools have become more aware of their practices.

Reporters posing as prospective students have shopped schools in order to uncover noncompliance in certain areas. The subsequent news reports can cause major controversy within a community and the schools effected. This can lead to a public outcry for stricter regulation.

Agreed, Scott. We are all certainly feeling that right now with the various regulations in the works.

The effect of the media has very much influenced the public opinion. However, it a real opportunity for our industry to focus on compliance and quality outcomes.

Darlene - It's good to mention the positive outcomes that can result from what may seem to create an initial negative perception on the industry. Thanks for your comment.

I agree Steven I have worked in college admissions for about two years now and I have witnessed many positive outcomes from students who would never step foot in a four year traditional college.

The media can be a bit misleading and exaggerate the facts to capture the audiences attention. There should be more positve media to on the sucessful student experiences and the postive outcomes of students that atteded career colleges.

We can all assist by providing as many positive items of information (press releases) to the media in hopes that the good gets published to provide a more balanced picture.

Great point. Not all schools or programs are for all students. Finding the right match and having various options available helps serve the broad needs of society.

Clearly media reports of suspect recruiting at homeless shelters as well as stories of graduates with mountains of debt has increased the level of scrutiny on the industry. It's a symbiotic relationship however as the hearings on Capitol Hill and the proposed regulations have also led to more media reports about the industry, many of which assume that anything alleged is actually true.

Media coverage does influence the regulatory environment in the eduction industry. We can see examples today with school's receiving negative press regarding tuition's so high graduates are unable to repay the loan with an entry-level salary.

The positive media coverage can only aid in education. American needs good schools, good students, and positive information about all forms of educaiton. The higher the standards of the media coverage can be a very positive affect on the standards of educaiton.
Vickie

Good positive media coverage can only aid education. America needs good schools, good students, and positive infromation about all forms of education. The higher the standards of the media coverage can be a very positive affect on the image projected.
Vickie

The increased media scrutiny of post-secondary schools has influenced the regulatory environment by highening public awareness and attention to the use of agreesive recruiting practices at some schools. Additionally, the media has raised questions about the limited support for job placement of grads coupled with the increasing cost of tuition. Subsequently, regulatory bodies are focusing on tightening regulations affecting these issues. Some examples are the current items under review by the Dept of Ed; Gainful Employment, Incentive Compensation, and Misrepresentation.

Rebecca - great summary of what we are all facing today.

Sign In to comment