Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

I know that it's been mentioned several times, but disgruntled students' responses are often to go to the media. From an audit and compliance perspective, when the media is involved, or even if complaints have been made to other agencies, records are overwhelmingly important. State Departments of Education, programmatic accreditors, institutional accreditors, etc. always request copies of files, any additional documentation from institutional portals/databases. In this manner, it is crucial to have appropriate records that are compliant, so as to support the university's actions. From personal experience, notes in the student database are helpful; however, when entering notes about interactions with students, one must always remember that these references can be public record. While we want to be thorough in our discussions, we must never include a personal bias or slant. My question is this: What happens when the institution changes internal policies and procedures between internal audits? How shall we document this update in every student's record? Or can we rely on the information that has been disseminated by the corporate offices if the practices every come into question? I appreciate any feedback that anyone may deliver!

Carly,

Great point on the importance of recognizing that notes recorded should be done professionally! As for documentation from internal audits, I will be anxious to see other responses for best practices. I have seen some schools protect internal audit reports themselves by including an attorney or internal counsel with appropriate disclaimers on those documents. Any resulting actions tied to specific student records would likely follow standard protocols for updating the file accordingly. For example, if a finding required refunding some amount of money to a student or for Title IV funds, there should be some inclusion of a reference for what prompted such refund after the regular process to indicate why it was done later than the original process. I look forward to seeing other comments as these are great questions!

Traci Lee

It has promoted a "culture of compliance" within the education industry. Forcing and/or reminding institutions of the need for solid auditing guidelines to ensure regulatory adherance, as well and institutional integrity.

Well several radio and television programs has emphasized certain opportunities for improvement of the educational industry. But not necessary the information diminished was complete or reflect a holistic reality of the facts communicated. I learned in the training that trying to balance this reality that impact negatively the, APSCU is very active communicating complementary information. Actually the most recent vaccated legislation was as result of the APSCU legal case filed against Mr. Arny Duncan, Secretary of ED.

Yamira,
Schools have definitely come together through organizations such as APSCU (and others) to help create awareness of the positive outcomes of many types of colleges. I think we need to keep up the momentum to continue this awareness current.

Traci Lee

I would like to see news reporters find graduates that have successfully completed a program to interview. Asking questions like overall satisfaction after completion of program, placement opportunities provided by institution, skills gained from successful completion, career advancement after completion, etc…

Russell,
Agreed - and I think the schools can assist reporters in "finding" graduates by doing press releases, etc. during graduation and commencement related events. Just remember to be cautious when releasing or publishing graduate lists in case you have any students/graduates that have requested their name NOT be released as part of the directory information clause within FERPA.

Traci Lee

The media has definitely try to taint career colleges and what we have to offer to so many potential students.

I was an instructor at a 2 year state college for eight years. I have been school director for over two and half years and there is a major difference in the standards that a career college must uphold.

I believe that we must give all students a different route for their educational needs. We must ensure that our instructors are meeting the needs of our students on a daily basis.

We must ensure that we as an institution are following and and forcing all federal, state and our accreditations policies and procedures.
By doing this we should receive a more positive feedback from the media.

The media has a huge effect on career colleges, and it's mostly negative. We do have career colleges that are not following federal/state and accrediting regulations and bylaws. So this gives our whole industry a negative view of what we have to offer our potential students.

I am school director of a career college and I'm extremely proud of our instructors and how professional and caring they are about there students. They really make a difference in our students life on a daily basis, in a very positive way.

It would be great if the media would do some positive stories about how we really put people in the workplace.

Ralph,
Great point about the quality of faculty and their important role in serving our students!

Traci Lee

The media has significant effects on the education industry. Most recently, targeting meal plans offered by institutions and are generally included as part of the financial aid package along with other living expenses.

Amanda,
Do you have any links to these articles that may assist others in understanding the issue underlying the targeting of meal plans?

Traci Lee

As a School Director, I "meet and greet" all new students on the first day of class. One issue I address is the chain of command to follow should the student have a concern while attending school. Also, the instructors at our school are very good about reiterating the chain of command to our students. As a whole, our school lets our students know that we are all there to assist them if problems arise because their success is our ultimate goal. This approach has worked well for us.

Lisa,
That's great to hear! I think it's wonderful to have a school director involved and interacting so much directly with students. I have seen a few schools where the "higher ups" tend to be more "behind the scene" and I like to see Directors involved to see and hear the needs of students!

Traci Lee

I think the media has helped to bring to light the many healthy benefits of massage that the public can use to complete a path to wellness. The media has also brought confused the public about our profession with shows like 'The Client' and episodes of ‘Friends’. Students and the public may be confused just what a massage therapist job is comprised of when they see how we can be portrayed in the media. Media in education is reaching a point that older instructor may find irritating and difficult to compete with. We use media to our advance when we are able to interact with students at their level when it comes to media. I consider media Facebook, twitter, iPads, movies, and TV shows. My staff attempts to reach our students at every level possible to make their education relevant and interactive. It is not easy to keep up with and blend the technology with the hands-on practice of the art of massage!! Our students will live in a world that may require they have basic knowledge and understanding of the media influence on the public and know how to use this influence to the best of their ability!

Stephanie ,
Great point about how television shows also influence the public perception of the occupations related to some career colleges. It's not just the "news media" but the many types of media you indicate that we are dealing with in today's day and age.

Traci Lee

I applaud your school's efforts in contributing to the community. Simple activities like the ones you have mentioned will improve the perception of what we all have to offer.

The media has created a panic about higher education scams and student loan debt by sharing small pieces of the story with the general public. This has led to the assumption that every school is out to swindle the students thus enforcing the "need" for more regulations.

Jill,
I have changed the way I perceive media reporting on other industries as well as ours after seeing the "sound bites" and "snippets" that end up making the news without painting the full picture. Thanks for sharing!

Traci Lee

For us, largely negatively as we are a for-profit private, business and vocational school. Our accreditors make a point of speaking about the perceived differences in non-profit and profit before we demonstrate any of the elements that most of us agree are terrible practices. We feel the bias very early in visits and conversation with our state and programmatic orgs and departments. We understand the concerns but we'd like to have a chance to demonstrate our compliance. Media tends to put large ideas into sound bites. I applaud the process and benefit of oversight.

Sign In to comment