Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

There are a vast number of ways for the public to access information that everyone is more aware of the rules and regulations which causes us in the education industry to need to be up to date with changes.

Good point, Kristina - the regulatory entities are constantly changing and it is critical that institutions have a plan to continually update their policies and procedures to be compliant with any changes.

The media has effected the regulatory requirements for institutions. Institutions like public companies are vulunerable when dealing with the public. Students have high expectations as well as consumers and if they feel they are mistreated then they have access to the media. Regulators put policies in place to deal with any complaints.

Virginia - What are your thoughts on the policies in place by regulators to deal with complaints? I've heard mixed responses on colleagues perceptions on the effectiveness of regulators with regard to student complaints.

I've also seen more and more websites pop up where students "publish" their dissatisfaction with institutions in addition to complaints to the media.

I think it forces all of us to be better and to be accountable. Not just an educator, but a student and parent... it's a relief to know that when an institution is accountable we can have faith in the promises made for a solid education and career assistance.

The media has been able to spot light consumer issues with schools, which aids to further alert regulators about deficiencies.

Media plays a vital role because any kind of major citation is made for public knowledge. For example if the organization looses accreditation they are blasted in the media. This reduces the admission enrollment and also current students are leary about continuing their education. This results in high attrition rate.

Do you think that small schools - less than 250 students - should be subject to the same of regulatory requirements as larger schools?

I'll be curious to see others chime in on this, Gloria. My personal opinion is that generally speaking, yes. My comment is based on the theory that regulations are intended to protect the student. All students - whether they attend large or small schools - should be entitled to this same protection. Having said that, I know that some of the regulations are very cumbersome for smaller schools and, in many cases, a handful of students can significantly impact statistics of smaller schools, putting them at regulatory risk.

I have seen some schools put on job placement monitoring as a result of a few students swinging the statistic into the unacceptable category.The opposing viewpoint would say that these schools also get the benefit of a couple students helping their statistics if the students secure jobs. In a graduating class of 10, each student represents 10%, whereas a graduating class of 100 would mean each only represents 1%. While one perspective suggests the seemingly unfairness of a few students putting the school at regulatory risk in the smaller school, the larger could argue that the small school only has to assist in providing up to 10 jobs vs. the 100 jobs - a big difference in certain disciplines and job markets. I don't envy the regulatory bodies when trying to find the right balance and how to deal with all ranges of school sizes, disciplines, markets, etc. I think the practical approach is ensuring the school can demonstrate good practices and effort. When a small school is scrutinized for something negative that may seem unfair due to size, if the school can provide evidence of their efforts and compliance with their policies and procedures, typically the penalty or consequences are minimized. While there are certainly exceptions, in my experience, the regulators are reasonable when conducting a review, particularly if the school can demonstrate valid effort.

It has helped to some extent to weed out school that were fly by night and had no clue how to run a school. It seems the media has opened student minds to the fact that they need to check out a school before signing up. It may have effected some schools who weren't in compliance to begin with. Those of us who were, it made us double check our work.

The media, as everyone knows, has it positive and not as positive traits. I would suspect that when the media gets involved they then become a regulatory conduit. In my opinion, the media causes the regulatory agency to be more aware of what's happening inside of these educational institutions as well as causes it to work harder to dispel some of the "untruths" surrounding specific institutions.

Actually when the media steps in and "uncovers" something it makes the regulatory agency look incompetent! Its perceived that the media is more informed about the institution than the actul auditing firm is. Not a good look at all!

The media today definitely tries to slant things negatively. At the school where I am the director, we strive every day to make a difference in our students' lives. But if a student is upset over something that they feel has not been handled the way they wanted, their first response is usually that they are going to call the news. They don't understand that we have to follow laws.

I think it's important that schools attempt to provide the media with the "good news" messages. Although not as "exciting" for them to publish, if they have space, these positive messages may make it in, which helps.

I am sure it has but we do not use media outlets for our school.

The challenge for some is that they don't use media outlets but, the media "finds them" when there is a negative issue.

I would say that the media has definitely influenced a lot of changes in the regulatory environment in the education industry. No school wants to be within the far reaching arm of the media and the ruthlessness of some reporters. Everyone wants to make sure that they are not the subject of the expose and therefore more emphasis is placed on compliance. There is also more awareness of regulations and when they change.

Unfortunately, negative media can and has been detrimental to the industry. It is imperative that all who work in the vocational proprietary sector operate at a high ethical level and strive to change the perception many have of our induatry.

Hi Cheryl! Thanks for your observations! It's true, a few less than professional operations can damage the perception about all of the schools that are sincere in their mission of teaching relevant job skills,and creating an opportunity for career success for their students. It is so crucial for us to continue to keep a pulse on our employment communities, particualrly during these challenging times, to help ensure that our professional institutions are teaching the skills that are in demand.

Jay Hollowell
CM201 Guest Facilitator

The media is always looking for a dramatic story that is dripping with fraud, or something salacious involving a student and a supervisor. If the story will inspire readers or spice up the airways, then it matters little if the media assault is aimed at a public or proprietary educational institution. However, proprietary schools have the universal negative media byline of making money while educating economically-challenged students.

Generally speaking, there is a high level of academic elitism among the media who view the for-profit, career college with disdain. This negative image is not lost on the legislators, as the education reauthorization bills will attest.

All of the above watchdogs definitely impact the level and volume of regulations that are attached to the proprietary industry. We need to operate our institutions with a high level of integrity and oversight. We also need to constantly develop informative and postive communication/interaction with the community.

Hi Tera,

Your comments are excellent and optimistic! When we discover a media source that is willing to objectively review the services that we provide for our students, then we need to work that source to the absolute limit! Too often, the media carries a built-in negative bias about our industry. But you are so right in getting the word out there to the media and the community.

I appreciate your comments!

Alan

Sign In to comment