Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Each one today receives much information of means where it is necessary that people analyze the information and she is educated to take the best alternative at the time of deciding that university will attend. In addition to verify that the University is certified by the state. The means are a way to educate and to inform but also is used to misinform and to make damage to the most innocent people.

I agree, Kathleen. Our career school sought national accreditation simply to distinguish ourselves. We don't presently offer Title 4 and have no plans to offer it in the future. We pursued accreditation solely to be a better school.

In my estimation, the media appears to have done little to impact the regulatory environment in which career schools exist. That is, they tend to gain the attention of the public, but the accrediting agencies, state and federal regulatory bodies are aware of items that must be monitored and are doing an exceptional job of paying close attention to those items. I think, if anything, media coverage of negative events in the career college industry causes other schools to take notice of areas that they need to pay attention. That is, either areas that have lost the companies attention or those that have been overlooked because of other areas of focus (as the learning material alluded to).

I like the positive perspective on this topic! It does seem that the various regulatory and accrediting bodies are in tune with the issues. The focus of reviews seems to change periodically based on current "hot topics". Lately, there has been a lot more focus on placement and completion than in the past. I am aware of some state regulatory agencies that are adding or intensifying their review and thresholds in these areas.

Very true Tracy. We have been seeing a huge focus on completion and placement. Compliance in all areas is a necessity, however, completion and placement are at the forefront with emphasis on placement. The media has helped tremendously in our area, focusing on the needs of businesses and how career schools have helped to satisfy this need as well as placement of a large dislocated workforce due to NAFTA.

Yes, career colleges offer many the opportunity to study in a condensed, hands-on environment. Additionally, many use a career college as a stepping stone for an advanced degree.

Absolutely! That's one of our strongest selling points in the career college industry, that we're able to offer a more hands on, condensed program. However, since we don't fit the typical university forum, the media vary rarely recognizes all the positive opportunities that we can bring to the table, and tend to overlook our industry. Maybe it's time that we bridge the gap by reaching out to our local media. By doing so, aren't we only encouraging a stronger and more positive correlation to our rare industry?

I think career colleges have always been deemed inferior to "traditional" colleges. I attended a career college myself, and when I tell people where I went, their response is "Oh, that's nice". If I had gone to a traditional school that everyone has heard of, then I think the preception is that I have received a better education. I don't think the media shares the benefits of attending one of these schools, such as ease of attending if you are a working adult, online classes, and the overall flexibility they offer.

Fortunately, I think certain industries and certain employers have become supportive of the career college for the practical training they provide. Unfortunately, you are right, Dale, that there are many who view the career colleges as inferior. Despite the volume of happy graduates from career colleges that are gainfully employed, the media plays up the few that complain about their discontent. The education industry is not unique in that sense as you often hear it said how vocal those that complain are compared to those that have only positive praise for a company or institution.

An additional advantage of career college graduates/students vs traditional college graduates/students (although I don't know that it is documented) is the fact they are more in tune with what is expected for a fruitful life. Many "traditional" college graduates go into the working world expecting to get all of the perks (big money, paid holidays and vacations) without proving themselves. Career college students seem more in tune with good work ethics and making the effort for the benefits.

It's great to see this positive perspective, Elizabeth. I am afraid I often hear people paint a less positive picture indicating that the career colleges cater to a "challenging" target market group. I hope to see others add their comments here as I am hoping more will share your point of view!

Career schools will always be able to shift people to new curriculums to fill the demand
placed on them by changes in the economy. Till attitudes towards career schools will change in this country, we will all be left to fend for our self. Especially those schools with just one curriculum.

I think that in today's society we all want what everyone else has. The media influenes us daily and just fuels that fire. As a career college we play a large part with individuals who are not right for a 4 year college. Individuals see their future and it is attainable through us and we fill that desire.

Through media “exposés,” schools sometimes receive unwanted publicity by being unfairly associated with a negative news story. For example, our institution is a massage therapy school that has been in existence over 20 years and has an excellent reputation. Recently a local TV news story was aired regarding a “massage parlor” which was involved in some illegal practices. Because the word “massage” was printed on the front-page newspaper coverage of this incident, we were approached three days later by media representatives and asked to make comments. On the positive side, this allowed us to point out the differences between an unlicensed establishment and licensed facilities that provide quality services.

This does not pertain to media influences on regulations, per se, but is an example of how negative publicity can sometimes provide an opportunity to educate the public about the contrast between poor organizations and those with a commitment to providing quality education in fields that contribute to the betterment of society.

Being new to my position as a compliance administrator, I have not been in the field long enough to observe changes in the regulatory environment, whether due to media influence or other factors. Thus far, I have concentrated on becoming familiar with requirements, and have noticed that the regulations of various accrediting/licensing organizations do not always complement each other!

Thanks for sharing this, Beth. It's a good example of how things can be "twisted" if not handled right. Fortunately, your organization took the opportunity to present a positive on licensed professionals, actually highlighting the important of education to obtain such licensure. I applaud your efforts to familiarize yourself with the requirements and by noting the variations you have, you are well prepared to stay on top of the regulations!

I agree that even the bad media attention is positive for consumers. This will give them the urgency to do a bit more research into the schools they are attending and know more about what they are getting into. i also believe that this can be beneficial to schools in the way that the good schools, the ones that are in compliance and offer a quality education will stand out from the rest. I supopse this all leads back to the fact that it is always important to perform internal audits to remain in compliance.

The media today definitely tries to slant things negatively. At the school where I am the director, we strive every day to make a difference in our students' lives. But if a student is upset over something that they feel has not been handled the way they wanted, their first response is usually that they are going to call the news. So in this day and age, consumers know that the media will definitely draw attention to a situation whether positively or negatively.
This, though, should just encourage all of us to never take for granted the importance of our positions--we are 100% accountable to our students.

The media has only presented the "20/20 - John Stossel-type" of negative investigating of the career school industry, focusing on the irregularities that have occurred. This results in even more scrutinizing regulations universally applied.
Wouldn't it be great for them to investigate the numerous positive life-changing stories that are happening every day in our schools and the equally tremendous effects that is having on the communities served by our institutions?

I beleive the media takes a negative effect in many areas. I think many people take in the negativity, and don't bother researching things on their own, to find out the other side of the story.

Daniel - Like so many things, the "news" tends to focus on the "drama" of negativity more than the positive items which they may come across. Earlier in these posts, there were some comments about our industry needing to continue to push the media with positive press releases. It's easy to "give up" when they don't always publish the "nice" stuff but, the more we provide to them on the positive side, the better. I recently saw some positive press for a career college in Kentucky - I will find some of these items to post on this site to show some of the (rare) positive stories that have been published.

Sign In to comment