Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Supports for Remote Learning | Origin: EC130

This is a general discussion forum for the following learning topic:

Remote CTE Teaching that Works, 2020 and Beyond --> Supports for Remote Learning

Post what you've learned about this topic and how you intend to apply it. Feel free to post questions and comments too.

I embrace the notion that students' gaining reinforced connections to life beyond schooling serves as a lifeline for them. When they consistently are left out of the planning and are given low technology solutions that lack in connections to their own experiences, we are likely to lose them. Communication loops for struggling students may start by reaching out to parents; however, I believe that getting the student, parent, and staff all involved in a collaborative plan designed for student success is paramount to long term success and viability of programs.

To help students be life long learners so that they can teach themselfs as years go on to make them more productive and sucessful.

CTE classes help promote careers, student learning in careers, teaches them more about what they are looking for in life.

Communication is important today just as it was important yesterday, we must make sure that help our students be as comfortable with technology (computer) as much as they will with the actual subject. CTA classes are a powerful outlet to fast track in careers that hopfully they will love. 

I like the suggestion to begin online lessons with collaboration and inquiry rather than lecture. Lecture is the kiss of death in online instruction (and it's not that great for in-person teaching, either), so teachers should look for other methods to engage students in the content such as experiential learning. I am also thinking about the virtual and augmented realities as being ways to provide remote experiences that enhance the CTE classroom, rather than fill time or attempt to replicate in-person instruction. 

It is important to provide students with "hands-on" experience in CTE programs.

Written and oral communication needs to stay at the forefront which will help CTE students master professional skills.

Communication is essential with students, and when applicable, communication "loops" with student's family members can help encourage students that may be struggling adapting to remote learning.

We can only loop in those who wish to be looped.  Making this important to the support people is critical.

Sign In to comment