Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

The Situation to Impact | Origin: EC130

This is a general discussion forum for the following learning topic:

Remote CTE Teaching that Works, 2020 and Beyond --> The Situation to Impact

Post what you've learned about this topic and how you intend to apply it. Feel free to post questions and comments too.

So far, I've refreshed my memory about some terminiology. And I've been thinking my way through specific connections to my current work position. I think the three underlying questions of is it interesting, challenging, and does it promote a higher level of curiosity are the foundations of age old dilemmas in education. 

Julie Williams

To limit the distractions to the student in their learning environment and how best  to correct it. To increase my own knowledge level to better serve the students.

Push them just beyond their knowledge to challenge them.  Challenge them, make it interesting, peak their interest.

Less is more.

I really appreciated the sample lesson where the teacher flowed between synchronous and asynchronous activities in remote instruction. It's helpful to think about those two categories of engagement when planning a Zoom lesson, however in my experience with distance learning too few students actually came to the Zoom classes to make them relevant. All learning experiences had to be accessible in the LMS because so many students did not attend the synchronous classes. (I'm in Oregon where students were learning from home for over a year, hopefully in other states students had a shorter and more manageable experience with remote instruction!) 

It is important to identify obstacles that can prevent students from learning.

Students should take ownership of their learning, and the instructions should be less, not more. 

Instructors should design an instructional approach that affects change.

Currently all of my remote learning/teaching styles have been directed in a asynchronous approach. This module has helped me to better understand the difference in asynchronous vs synchronous. Also, I was surprised to read how beneficial the "figure it out complex" can be and how less is actually more in that of challenging a student to take ownership of their learning to promote personal growth.

Getting up and getting ready for the day makes a big difference.  Try to get them to do so. 

The greatest obstacle to effective remote learning, as per this section, is distraction. Obviously, this particular course was created to address concerns during the COVID pandemic. However, what I (and most teachers that I work with) learned from remote learning during COVID, is that it is largely ineffective. I disagree entirely with the assertion that this is the education of the future. Rather, this is another example of industry selling technology for the sake of technology, and getting fat off of taxpayers dime, regardless of indicators of significantly lower performance and retention during remote learning.   

Sign In to comment