Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Focus on the Process, Not the Outcome | Origin: EC110

This is a general discussion forum for the following learning topic:

Reaching High-Levels of Student Engagement --> Focus on the Process, Not the Outcome

Post what you've learned about this topic and how you intend to apply it. Feel free to post questions and comments too.

I learn that SWOT means strength, weakness, opportunties, threats.  SWOT is use for review for performance testing and it also helful when attemptingto silve a problem.  The key is to FOCUS ON THE PROCESS, NOT THE OUTCOME.

In marketing we frequently discuss the swot analysis, but I like the idea of changing t to tweaks because sometimes threats isn't the correct measure.  I liked all of the ideas of the four corners, last concept standing, and the scenario cards.  I've heard of exit tickets, but never thought of the bell ringer as an entrance ticket.  Great concepts. 

I used SWOT analysis in business administration and I have adapted it to my lesson plans and after lesson revisions. This has helped with stronger lesson development and revising my lessons to fit specific class style. 

SWOT strategies help close gaps by providing flexibility and promoting equality. I already use exit cards, but I am going to incorportate Four Corners.

I had never heard of Four Corners, I like that idea.  SWOT is familiar and a useful activity in a variety of scenarios.  Entry and Exit Cards are familiar and seemed to be the same as Bell Ringers and Exit Tickents?  It is good to be reminded of the importance of focusing on the process rather than the outcome.

The examples of different ways to use active formative assessments are very helpful. They have allowed me to come up with some scenarios that can definitely be helpful.

I learned valuable lessons in thought progression and action added learning.  I also learned that communication based learning and round table discussions are productive in driving out the best outcome.

It is important to give students thinking opportunities.

Provide thinking opportunities for your students. SWOT means strength, weakness, opportunties, threats.

Reply to Ella Davis's post: I like the way you word this thats what I was thinking as well.

Provide thinking, talking and sharing opportunities for the students. Using SWOT gives the teacher a method/system which is effectivee when combined with think, pair share.

I try to give the students opportunities to explain their answers. And address the class with each answer given.

I like the overlearning idea used with the different scenarios.  I can incorporate something like this in my business essentials class when it comes time to make decisions about products to sell in the school store.

I like the different lesson activity,  SWOT and four corner give students to express their opinions and quick way to asset the class progress. 

I really like the idea of using "entrance tickets" and "exit tickets" as a method to deemphasize grades as a metric of daily learning. I also thought that the one teacher's feedback recommending groups not larger than 3 was very interesting. 

Low stakes reading quizzes before class lead to more involved conversations.

I had never heard of SWOT so it was interesting to be introduced to that teaching strategy method. 

SWOT is a great example of whole class and small group learning!

I liked the activity example where students were presented with the real world example and then had to defend their strategy. I think this is very applicable to many areas of CTE instruction. I also like the SWOT analysis, I use that often in my business classes. 

Sign In to comment