Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Planning Lessons with Engagement | Origin: EC110

This is a general discussion forum for the following learning topic:

Reaching High-Levels of Student Engagement --> Planning Lessons with Engagement

Post what you've learned about this topic and how you intend to apply it. Feel free to post questions and comments too.

I have learned in plannning your lessons you must anchored in prior knowledge, create tasks that draws multiple ideas and provide multiple path for students, anticipate failure after productive struggle and build tiime for failure intyo lesson design. You must build a classroom culture that has a strong abundance, because students will ask questions.  As a teacher you allow students to complete task on their own and you will instruct the students in the missing information, ask guiding questions, so they can figure out the solution.

As the teacher, I do prefer to act as the facilitator.  I really liked the idea of moving students into a variety of seating arrangements to encourage active talking and listenting, but know I will have to wait until COVID restrictions lift.   As the teacher, it is natural to call on prior knowledge which also supports time for clarification.  Building a classroom culture of inclusivity knowing that everyone supports you and that there is enough abundance for everyone is one of my goals. 

I have learned to create an active learning environment in the classroom by having my room set up with round tables that create workgroups. Giving students to work together and having peer-to-peer conversations and projects give the chance for mentorships and learning growth from peers. 

Provide a safe environment to foster student curiosity and encourage student questions.  Also, develop a class culture that seeks to support failure as a means of learning and gaining a deeper understanding of the content.   Frequent room rearranging can also lead to increased student engagement. 

That creating opportunities to fail is beneficial to the learning process, as failure provides a deeper understanding to make lasting connections. I plan on designing lessons to incorporate productive failures.

Giving students choice is one way I plan for engagement.  Building a culture of learning which emphasizes putting in the work and engaging in the struggle, where failure is an opportunity not an ending point is very important.  In culinary, I always stress that if a student does not reach the desired product goals, what is important is to learn from that experience, figure out why/what went wrong.  Learn from our mistakes.

It is nice to see the examples. We hear about chunking all the time and I have worried about if I am doing it correctly It is nice to go through the examples and see how it should work. I am definitely going to do more chunking in my classes.

Changing the concept of ask and answer in the classroom to any of several differing types of information exchange can enhance the collaborative experience and promote real learnming.

It is important to keep the communication open between teachers and students.

Lessons should allow studentst to openly collaborate. It is an important skill for students to practice because its a true life skill that many lack. Engagement leads to learning!

I need to be more delibrate when planning my lessons to focus on small group movement. I feel this will improve my lessons flow and help student better process new material.

Interactions between the studets and teacher is vital to the positive environment of the classroom.  As the teacher you also need to be aware of the dynamic between the students.  You need to make sure that the interactions are positive.

I have used the carousel lesson in my business essentials classes a lot.  However, my computer based courses don't work well with it.  I really enjoy a good discussion about illegal/legal and ethical/unethical  and so do my students.  I will continue to use this method and tweak it as needed.  

I learn that I need to keep students in mind when writing lesson plans that includes active talking, fail success,  and student center.

It is critical to plan movement and variation in the classroom to increase engagement. Also, the ability of the teacher to find the balance between being present as a support and encouraging self-exploration is critical to achieving positive results from more students. 

Using group projects that end in one or two classes allows you to mix up the students constantly.

Sometimes as a facilitator I seem to view failure as a negative thing, but after this module I see that failure is actually not an all-bad thing that can actually be incorporated into the overall design of the lesson.

One of the key takeaways from this section is the reminder that the way a space is set up and the position/role of the teacher is a huge piece of the educational puzzle.  I am encouraged to do more time in Socratic method circles and to be more intentional about asking more questions and giving students more involvement in the learning process.

Teachers need to consistently provide multiple intelligence style lesson plan opportunities for all types of learners.  It is important to design a classroom layout which is conductive to learning.

Sign In to comment