Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Impact of Trauma on Learning | Origin: EC105

This is a general discussion forum for the following learning topic:

Teaching Secondary Students Affected by Trauma --> Impact of Trauma on Learning

Post what you've learned about this topic and how you intend to apply it. Feel free to post questions and comments too.

Trauma is a serious issue that plagues many students.  It is the teacher's role to help identify at-risk students and direct them to the proper channels to recovery.

I believe it's the responsibility of the teacher to be aware of the possibility of trauma and how to address it.

After reading the information on trauma, I feel I need to be more aware of students' attitudes, behavior and just how they behave in class.

The thing you have to remember is if students are under trama you must stay calm in your interactions, if not everything falls apart.

Students who have experienced Trauma often suffer from emotional dysregulation. While it is more common in females, it impacts males as well and can lead to poor choices and disruptive behaviors. 

As a teacher, my role is to not only contact admin and counselors but also offer support to the student. 

Stay calm and observe the situation.  Make contact if necessary but be gentle in your approach.

Our brains are developing until we are 25 years old, so students we often think of as young adults do not always have the physiological tools to reason and react in they ways we might hope.  Dysregulation can lead to behavioral choices which are not always in a child's best interest, it is imperative that we are on the lookout for signs of trauma so that we can help support students when they experience this.

The type of support a teacher can deliver is heavily regulate. This puts teachers in a catch 22 and may lead to the teacher taking short cuts

It is important for teachers to advocate for thier students, especially if they are being abused.

We have to have the type of relationships with our kids that they feel safe and can approach us.

Trauma is real and it is important as an educator to recognize it and help when needed.

Work to build rapport with students and a therapeutic environment in the classroom. Then be ready to help students who report / show symptoms of trauma get the help they need to regain health and happiness.

SUPPORT, SUPPORT, SUPPORT! Provide a safe haven for your students and advocate for them.

I had an interesting thought. Any major life changes can trigger any form of trauma. For example, uprooting the family to move to another state can be traumatic to teens. They now face the daunting task of making new friends, mourn the loss of their friends back home, get used to a new culture (every state has their own). Although I haven't experienced any form of abuse, I did experience some major changes which appear to have resulted in some of the somatic responses outlined in the lesson.

In any social situation, I hold the hope that any individual who recognizes an opportunity to help another with their struggle would do so.  In an educational environment, I place my trust in the network of professionals who would take my referral of an identified student and provide them with the required resources that I, alone, do not possess.

It is important for educators to take the time to assess causation when determining the status of a behavioral problem. Knowing that trauma can inhibit learning and increase emotional instability is key to identifying students who need greater trauma informed support. 

Trauma can impact so many facets of a teen's life, including their social skills and integration in society. A teacher can be a great support to help them in that area. 

Determine if the behavior can be ignored.  If so it will disappear, If not remain calm but firm

Sign In to comment