Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Social Networking Sites

How has the popularity of social networking sites such as facebook, twitter, etc., affected communications with prospective students?

Does your school have a marketing plan that includes the use of social networking sites?

The popularity of social networking is effective in the growth of any business. Word of Mouth is the best known advertising available, and can be presented effectively on Facebook, twitter or any other sites. This will allow prospective students to see how the school may have worked for a fellow friend, or even the idea of what is available to fit their career paths. Yes, our school has used a social networking to share stories from the alumni, staff, and current students perspective.

While social networking sites are popular, our school does not encourage their use as a way to reach out to students. The lack of regulation on these sites makes control of information difficult, which can lead to students being misinformed about school policies.

Yes, our school utilizes all the listed social networking sites to stay in contact with students.

With the fast pace that technology is moving, it would be wise to expand our communication methods to accomidate the growing industry. It would beyond beneficial to CCI to ride that social networking wave. Generation Y is more likely to check thier facebook page numerous times in a day, than to check their voicemail or postal mail. We are the information generation, and all info must be available to our fingertips. A facebook page with forums, pictures, blogs and more would be a great interactive way for current, previous, and prospective students to communicate. MySpace & Facebook would be the best social sites to place an official page. Many businesses and other schools are already on board. I would love to see CCI do the same

Yes, our school does use facebook as a social networking tool to communicate with current and prospective students. We actually have a team in place, all members are from different departments, and each tries to contribute on a daily basis in a positive way. Examples are updates with daily quotes, campus activities or announcements. It is a valuable tool, but as someone in the thread mentioned, not much regulation and we have to be careful when using this type of communication.

we do have agents who use facebook as a means of communication

I think social networking sites are a great way to communicate and get a hold of prospective students. A lot of time when the student's phone number is disconnected and they don't have an email it is a great way to send them a message about your school. It also shows that your school is up to date with technology.

Social Media is the wave of the future. Our school uses social media to communicate events to the students such as special presentations by visiting chef's

Absolutely, we have found that it is much easier to get in touch with students via Facebook then by phone or email. As a rep that deals only with high school seniors it has vastly improved the number of students whom I've been able to contact.

Our school does not encourage the use of social networking sites for the same reasons. We feel that it is not beneficial to have a form of communication with potential students that we cannot control and we do not want people to potentially be misinformed by third parties.

I personally feel that facebook and twitter are good ways to keep alumni connected to what is going on at a school if they are interested, but I do not feel that it is an effective recruting tool. I think that if a student is bombarded with information by a school that it can cause them to have negative feelings towards that school. If a school is calling them, mailing them information, e-mailing them, and facebooking them, it seems like that could be overwhelming and possibly turn them off to a school.

Our school does use social networking sites, namely Facebook and Twitter. We have found that many prospective leads have come to our school due to what they have read on those sites. Our school does receive lead referrals, but with the development of technology and the computer saviness of today's generation, many of our potential students are able to "reach out" to graduates of our school to glean more information before they even contact us.

We use Social Media equally to correspond with students. It is very effective and I love how technology has evolved means of communication.

Our school does have a Facebook page, however I do not believe it is being used to its potential yet. We also have an Iphone app, but again, its not being pushed as an advertising source yet.

Being "old school", I'm not into Facebook and Twitter. However, e-mail is great when phone calls fail. I agree that word of mouth is still the best advertising method.

We have our own social networking site, but to be quite honest I do not use this very much. I do not even have my own Twitter or Facebook page.

Our school uses a Facebook site to connect with current students. I think it's a great retention tool and helps students to feel more like a community when on campus.

I agree, James. Our school does not use social networking sites as a recruiting tool, or as an inforational tool, as far as I know. There is an alumni page that I am aware of. We are encouraged to use discretion and caution when using social networking sites on our personal time as well, since we represent our company.

Social networking sights such as Facebook are obviously a great way to gain exposure through advertising. Having actual accounts on the sight with followers can be risky, in my opinion, due to the lack of regulations.

Our high school division uses social networking sites and they have found that it is a great way for students to tell several of their friends how great the school is!

Sign In to comment