Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Our college is aggressive in using Facebook and twitter in promoting the school. The primary use is to introduce prospective students to the college and encourage them to go to the website or contact the college directly.

Social networking is HUGE with our prospective students. We have a great deal of students who like us on Facebook and Twitter, and we get a lot of questions regarding our school as well. We do our best to answer all questions in a timely manner. When we have special events for the school or when it's enrollment time, Facebook has been one of our main tools in promoting our school events. The marketing department is also very diligent about getting the word out on all events as well, and they have companies that partner with us that get the word out on all of our events. Our social media/marketing team rocks :)

We are not permitted to network with prospective students via social media.

I certainly agree. I believe it has a positive impact in communicating with prospective students because it opens up a new medium of accessibilty and it provides a way to communicate with students rapidly and more effectively.

I believe that social networking sites can be very beneficial to a school. Many people will not trust if it is a good school until they have done research on social networking sites. While the sites can be skewed due to one or two negative experiences, it is important to monitor what is being said about your school to ensure its accurate.

Our institution does utilize social networking sites in order to reach out to perspective students. In today's world, social media has the means to reach millions across the U.S. and beyond. It's not absurd to say that everyone knows someone who has an account with one (or more) of the popular social networking outlets. It's a great way to reach to a variety of perspective students and speak about your business or institution without overstepping any boundaries. By simply posting an ad about your business, the viewer has the opportunity to gain more information without feeling pressured in any way.

I have learned that it is very useful. Today i contacted a student who didn't have a cell phone via Facebook and set an appointment with him to come into the school.

I work in OnLine admissions and see the value of social networking in the area of not simply who I know, but how the extension of my friends friends spreads the word and understanding of education options. Also, if I e-mail to my address book with the Features and Benefits of OnLine and ask them to forward on the information, the info will spread expedientially.

Social Networking sites have impacted a lot with communications for schools. It had changed the whole marketing tactics and the community as well. The communication between the students and staff are now available and everyone is involved.

Yes, my school utilizes Social networks for their own marketing advantage.

Yes, my school is deeply involved with these outlets, it is ever expanding and creating new avenues of awarness about the school.

Yes. Facebook has been a great outlet in marketing. It allows our current students to provide testimonials at their own discretion.

I have not see any facebook nor tritter advertisements. I have seen my school on tv and radio ads mostly.

Our campus does not employ the use of social networking sites as a form of marketing. I believe there may be a fine line somewhere there. I believe an educational institution should have, at the very least, a Facebook page that students may subscribe to, in order to gleen important information about the campus, upcoming open houses, job fairs, etc. Additionally, I believe it would be great to have a "link" that would take someone directly to request information. Smart marketing ideas! Lynda

I believe social networking is a great way for students to commmunicate thier feelings and and what a great campus education they recieved from ITT!!

While I prefer to and also am required to have face to face and phone conversations with students my institution, I find more and more often that people prefer to communicate via text message and social networking sites. I belive this is a fundamental shift in the way the world communicates and also believe it is not always for the best. That is a separate can of worms though.

As it stands I have used social networking to connect with students. I have created a College facebook page for myself. My name on the page also states my title at the college so that any student wishing to contact me via facebook can do so quickly and comfortably. I have found this extremely useful on a number of occasions.

Communicating with prospective students via socila networking sites has become a very important part of not only promoting the school, but also keep the student informed. My school has done this very effectively. Additionally, it is important to note that there should always be someone who is designated to control and monitor the company sponsored social networking site and its communication with students and prospective students.

Communications with students used to be considerably less immediate or fluid. Now, communications can be passed along to great numbers of people in mere moments. This can be a double edged sword, since good news travels fast and bad news travels faster. It's a powerful tool that must be handled with care and precision. As far as I have noticed, it takes dedicated teams to monitor social media and communicate with students in a compliance friendly manner. Understandably, school agents are normally under rigid rule to stay far away from any kind of contact with students outside of appropriate school channels and environments.

I like the idea of schools running their own social networking sites relating exclusively to the schools, but I wonder if there is enough incentive for some students to use such a tool. I've seen some schools incorporate all their online functionality along with a networking function, like a one-site-fits-all, so that while a student is online to check something school related, the social aspect is conveniently there for them to utilize as well.

Social networking is very integral. However, we have rules inplace where you are not to associate your own personal pages with the University and that if you do you must state that your opinions do not reflect that of the university that you work for. It is a very fine line where some of the students you enroll look for you on Facebook and want to be your friend and trying to keep work and play separate. If you do not separate the two, you could be on a slippery slope.

Our school has definitely capitalized on the opportunity to take full advantage of social media. We have been able to use social channels like facebook to promote education, scholarship information, and special programs. In my experience this has generated great leads and referrals. I have also received positive feedback from students.

Social Networking has had a huge impact on society as a whole. My school does not promote via social sites, but I do know that many do. I think that this adds to a depersonalization of the experience, but it is really up to the prospective student.

Sign In to comment