Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

I think it has in todays technology driving age. It's alot easier for prospective students to communicate with actual or prior students and research the school. I do not know if our school has a marketing plan for social networking sites but i do plan on finding out.

I am easily accessable by facebook to recruit other students. as a matter of fact, today my friend was on Facebook stating how he was going to go a different university. after talking with him, i sparked his interest in Strayer. Strayer University also has a Facebook page.

My school does have a social networking page on facebook which allows students to interact with us via the site. The populairity of social networking sites have positively afffected communications with young people since that is a primary way they communicate now. So it makes it cool to discuss our school and wanting to go there.

At our school we have a facebook account. we have had a great response!

Sometimes students call in any say they seen the ad on a job finder site or right ofter a survey. Usually the student that sees the ad after filling out a job application will be interested in school. They are looking to better their life and additional education will do the trick.

I agree! Everyone I know has a facebook page. Ranging from young children to senior citizens. This is a great way to reach out to people of all ages and giving them the oppurtunity to further their education.

Our school uses it's facebook page to keep students and prospective students up to date with the recent successes and news from each location nationwide.

It is nice to have the sites, but you do have to be careful of revealing too much personal information as an individual. I think it is better to just have a school page rather than an individual page for students to access.

Social networking sites are a great way to contact future and current students. I have a professional facebook account, and I try to keep in contact with potential students that have already visited the campus.

We do not use the social networks to communicate with prospective students. I would rather talk to someone on the phone and hear his or her changes in mood. I want to know that he or she is excited to come in and see the school.

James,
You said it exactly right. Information can be taken and turned around on you when you post on social networking sites. It is much better to talk to a student on the phone where you can tell tone of voice so things are not taken in the wrong way.

I think social networking sites have a great impact on prospective students. Our school has a facebook page.

Jamila,

I assume from your message that your friend was thinking of going to another school, not already enrolled in another school. However, please keep in mind that there is a rule that states you may not attempt to influence a student to withdraw from a school that the student is presently attending.

Our school has a social network site used by current students and alumni as well as prospective students.We do not to "friend" prospective students on our personal sites.

Our school does use social networking as part of our marketing plan and to communicate with current students. We have a social marketing analyst on staff. Social networking is a great way to communicate directly with prospective students and current students on their terms, where they feel most comfortable. It's also an effective avenue for word-of-mouth advertising and for prospective students to get a feel for the culture of the organization.

Our school doesn't encourage the use of social networking sites. I think it would be interesting but not sure how effective it would be.

I think having a social networking site is a good idea. Many people use this type of site to communicate with friends and family. It is the wave of the future and it gives us the ability to communicate with prospective students using a format they are comfortable using and like to use.

The onset of social networking sites has played a huge role in the marketing and communications with prospective students. I see two major effects that are positive for our institution as well as the prospective students.

First of all, a student can log into a social networking site and see what current and prospect students, as well as alum are saying about the institution. This provides a very transparent view of the school which can only help with their decision as well as the integrity of the school.

Secondly, there is the impact that it makes communication much easier. It is a regular occurrence where I speak with a student in person and they do not have a phone, or possibly one that only texts and logs online. The youth of today by and large appear to more comfortable either speaking in person or via text/email. It is rare that I meet students that prefer a phone conversation, though does happen.

I know that our school uses ads placed on Facebook in it's current marketing plan; I have even seen the ads when I am on Facebook.

While social networking can be a great way to generate interest in your school I do think that it needs to be regulated by your school with specific rules and guidelines. I love that the school's marketing includes Facebook, but I am also pleased that we are not permitted to friend any prospective student. With all of the rules and regulations that schools already have with advertising and marketing, I think it would be extremely hard for them to monitor every action done by their agents if they were connecting with prospective students on their personal facebook pages.

It’s becoming a bigger piece of the equation on a daily basis. We have had to hire a Director of Social Media.

Sign In to comment