Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

The multiple hurdle strategy is an important part of the hiring process. 

I have always thought of particular questions when interviewing candidates. Using multiple hurdles will now be a part of this process. Rating each candidate is also a good idea, narrows the field when you have some that have some or most of the KSAOs.

This section showed light on some great points. Ranking systems, RJP and multiple hurdle system. These will defiantly help weed out applicants that are not meeting the "deal breakers". 

While all portions of the hiring process are costly, the actual selection of faculty tends to come at the highest cost in this process. For our schools, post-pandemic, we're doing everything we can to find great instructors for our students. Unfortunately, we have had to skip the technical portion, but I know it to be a great indicator of quality faculty. I think one thing we can do better is providing the RJP during or post-interview for that prospect to evaluate before we call them back for a second interview. We do utilize an instructor assessment as a part of our job application and that has helped quite a lot in deciding who to hire, based on current knowledge of their given field. 

Providing an honest realistic job preview will probably reduce your pool of eligible applicants. However, those that do accept the position will likely be better suited for the position, more likely to accept a reasonable offer, and retention will not be a major concern. 

There are many factors to take into consideration when choosing a candidate. This module provided great insight into the best methods for determining who is the best fit for our organization. 

One thing I learned from this section is the idea of testing the applicant out by having them do a mini lecture to show their skill and knowledge.

I have learned to listen more as I need to get to know the applicant better.

I really enjoyed learning about the Hurd Method, and what to look for when hiring staff.

With the system we have for applications, we ask the same basic questions for every role at the college - I will suggest hiring managers create a supplemental sheet to attach to the application. I have added following up with references to our faculty hiring procedures (should be done anyway, but often isnt). I have also added an optional question to clarify information from resume/cover letter to the round one interview question template. Added details on the teaching prompt instructions to include the amount of time, topic, course level and available resources. Will build Realistic Job Preview into hiring procedures as well - round 2 interviews

We do not use a ranking system during interviews. We typically have a hiring manager who is the program chair for that position and 4 to 6 faculty from other departments/schools. The decision is and should ultimately be up to the program chair. Other faculty may prefer a different candidate for more personal reasons and rank them accordingly. As I type this I am realizing this may be more of a training issue that we need to work on around hiring committee practices. 

Following a sequence starting with the application completion, applicant test, interview invitation, structured interview steps, RJP best practices, notes and data assessment, and final decision optimizes efficiency, performance, and satisfaction rates.

Sign In to comment