Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Your comment reminds me of the old saying "The fish rots from the head". I never cease to be amazed that we all know the right way things should be but very few of us actually do it that way.

The first night of class (I teach design) I stress to my students that they are not in competition with each other and they are now sitting in class with their new best friends. Everyone is responsible for each other's success. We also do an awful lot of laughing and good natured teasing. However, I do think political correctness has put a damper on good natured teasing. Remember the old "sticks and stones..." We need to get back to that old thick skinned and good natured approach to life. Sometimes you just have to get over taking yourself too seriously!

If it is true that 20% of all of us have mental health issues serious enough to warrant treatment, that truly can account for some behavior. And some behavior is simply not capable of being dealt with. In our department we have an upbeat director but one faculty member simply became "unglued" and ruined the entire faculty (and to a certain extent the student body). Sometimes there is just no way to deal with someone like that; we ultimately had a situation where that faculty member "self destructed" and was let go. Now we are in the process of rebuilding....It was a shame that the institution could not have taken some action to remediate the situation.

Some the best remediation in a negative situation is to take on the climate with positive activities organized by a very positive team of people. It is easy for a negative person to control a group if the team allows it by falling into the trap of enabling the negative person. One measure to take is by creating a positive atmosphere. They usually will join in in time or they will be so uncomfortable they will quit.

Communication and how we do it is so important. We always need to be considerate but we have to be who we are as individuals. How we present that in verbal, written and body language sets the tone. We can make progress with the right amount of communication and listening.

What are some ways that you have personally handled workplace stress or helped others to do so?

I have simply taken a break. I used my lunch hour to leave campus, have lunch, and relax. I did not think of the stressful situation for a while during that break. When I returned I had a clear mind to access the situation much clearer.

If you have the time to escape and think from a more strategic non-emotional state it is wise to do so. It is not always possible to do this but you are correct in removing yourself from the reactionary moment and do it more from a strategic thought process moment. You will always do better when you can make the decisions from a logical and unemcumbered emotional moment.

I will cover for an instructor and give them a few minutes to take a walk or get something to drink

I agree, the rankings for some people are different. Some people would put spirituality first, some would place emotion as a condition for stress factors.

I read daily affirmations, keep a positive attitude and try not to let the little things steal my joy. We teach people how to interact with us by how we control and handle ourselves. Negative people tend to gravitate together as do the positive people.

We are products of our environment and experiences. Diversity of life is what makes our experiences motivating and sometimes stressful.

Getting away from stress is helpful. They need to prepare to return with a positive attitude.

There is a well known leader in the development of affirmations. Lou Tice for Pacific Institute has promoted affirmations for many years. Positive is definitely healthier.

I personally like to watch a comedy or read a good book. Get myself out of the stressful environment for at least 20 minutes

Removing yourself to regroup is a healthy plan. When you reengage always keep out the emotions and think clearly. Wisdom over rules antedotal thoughts.

Recently I have responded poorly to workplace stress on several occasions. After going through this course I realize that I made several fundamental errors in dealing with stress and the result of those errors has been to receive a verbal warning from my employer on unprofessional work behavior.

My response to this warning has been to 1) accept responsibility fully for my actions, 2) speak with all persons my actions affected, accept responsibility for my actions towards them, and ask specifically for forgiveness for my actions.

Additionally, I have been working on self-forgiveness so that I will not allow those errors to cast a long shadow over my actions in the future. I have had wonderful support from my immediate supervisor and the overall director, compassionate and responsive.

In the future, I will use these very useful CEE course materials, specifically, in a stress response mechanism and will be learning and building the necessary skills to handle stress in a healthful manner. I accept responsibility for managing my stress and I accept responsibility for my responses to stress.

While external factors are often not under my control, I can strive to reframe common stress triggers in a more positive and proactive way.

While going through this course I was able to pinpoint specifically those issues that increased my vulnerability and decreased my power and it was helpful to be able to articulate those stressors.

Honestly, it is hard for me to tell someone how to relieve stress in the workplace when Im trying to work on it myself.

Whatelse can I say but congrtulations for your self-improvement. You have experienced some life changing moments from your course. But be sure to understand you have been open minded enough to accept your misgivings and have grown in your ability to change.

Good Luck in your future,
Gary Carlson

I find the best way to reduce stress at work is to take a time out..a minute or two to take a step back and take a deep breath. Reevaluate my objective.

A long bathroom break doest hurt either..lol

--Islam

THe holistic appraoach is always helpful. I find reflection a great way to reduce stress. God and prayer give a sense of peace.

Thank you sharing that William,

--ISlam

I beleive stress is a mental thing. Mind over matter. One stress relever is to think of a funny moment in your life..I sometimes share that with my collegues just to see them laugh.

Laughter is a great stress reducer as well.

--ISlam

Sign In to comment