Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Randy,
Stepping back from the task is very good. You actually refresh yourself enough to do a better job. There are studies where they have found people who relax or even take a short nap perform at a higher level.

Dr. Gary Carlson

I have a mini farm in my backyard so my stress relief is to go out back and hang out with the animals because no matter what’s going on they are always happy to see you and have no complaints.

Carlos,
I truly can identify with your stress reliever. I was raised in a farm community and know what a release it is to be outside with mother nature. I has all the ingredients of a balance to your life. The problem is that we some times forget what the good life is and not practice it. Your balance of spiritual rejuvenation, good health practices, mental pleasure and recreation will help you deal with both good and bad stress.

Dr. Gary Carlson

The best thing that works for me when dealing with situation workplace stress is the stop, breath, reflect technique; however, I have to be careful about over using because, sometimes, I find when I get home, I have not fully resolved the issue, and the stress bubbles back up.

Alison,

Priority is the key to understanding what the level of achievement needs to be for any one day. When stress is involved it may be we have to complete the task and then step back from it. If your time management allows you can take a short break and then return but knowing you need to reach a point where you are comfortable for the day. When we get caught in procrastination we create undue stress.

Dr. Gary Carlson

I avoid stress in the work place by consulting with my co-workes. Efective communication helps to eleminate potential problems which can lead to stress in the workplace.

rickey,
Trust-worthy people are necessary to bounce things off of for clarification. Sometimes clarification makes stress reduce because your trusted colleagues will give you good advice to move forward or to return to the drawing board.

Dr. Gary Carlson

Somehitng that works very good for e when I feel overloeaded is getting up and going for a short walk. It gives me enough time to breath and relax. After that I can come back to my work with a fresh mind.

Cesar R.

Cesar,
Walking is definitely a good practice. Remember to lead a balanced life with recreation, good health habits, leisure health actives and spiritual rejuvenation.

Dr. Gary Carlson

I actually believe that laughter is the best medicine to relieve a tense work environment. When we have accreditation visits or other stressful times, it's best to hole up in an office and find something about the situation to laugh about. It's a discharge of tension about that situation that just can't be relieved any other way. You don't want to laugh at somebody or at the expense of a situation, but I am a firm believer in fiding humor in anything. Sometimes life is serious and intense and so is work. If you can find a way to lift some of that pressure off of your psyche for a few minutes, all of a sudden the mental anguish isn't quite so intolerable.

Of course, if you don't enjoy who you work with, this would be a lot more difficult to work with. I think it's a magical think when you work with people who you also enjoy.

Nicole,
You express many good points. The main thing involved is who you are and the personality you presented for yourself. My advice to you is to always be yourself. People wether they are negative or positive you should not change who you are. You have a great outlook and that makes a difference.

Dr. Gary Carlson

Some of my ways that I have learned to handle stress with difficult co-workers is to be passive. I have found this approach works very well. It yields the response that I want. The co-workers feel as though there requests have not went on deaf ears. Subsequently, they are happier and so am I. I have also taken a new approach to focusing more on eating healthier and also taking time for exercising more.

natarsha ,
Good for you with your practices. Passive is probably the technique that is that keeps the issue in perspective. When emotion rises the issue gets out of hand for logical solutions. Keeping your life in a balance with exorcise, good health habits in eating, mental activity and spiritual rejuvenation keeps the stress in a workable form.

Dr. Gary Carlson

Humor!

We would not make it through the day without it. Just this past Monday myself and my counterpart both being in management had to lay off seven employees do to downsizing. It had been building for weeks as HR went through the process, during this time we were aware of the individuals but could not speak to them about it until the final date and time was determined. This caused a high level of stress in the both of us. Despite the reasons for our elevated stress we both turned to humor as our release. This not only calmed our minds and bodies, but also brought us closer as counterparts and strengthen our working relationship. It also enabled us to continue to focus on tasks at hand and being working on new directions for our company as they applied to our business unit. I think humor is one of the approaches that is universal in all of us.

Christopher,
Humor is used for many reasons. Somtimes people respond to a stressful situation by smiling or laughing. It could be perceived by some as not appropriate. If you understand the stress then you will not overreact to someones response with laughter or other body language that seems not appropriate to the situation.

Dr. Gary Carlson

I have been dealing with workplace stress for around the last 3 months. I have recently begun exercising on a more consistent basis, primarily doing cardio exercises.

My sleep at night is signficantly better, with fewer interuptions.

Also, I have recently chosen to continue my education by earning my Masters degree online. It seems that the increased amount of reading that I am now doing has had a great impact on my level of irratibility. Overall, I feel much calmer. Though I still recognize the challenges that are a part of my workplace, I am no longer taking issues as personally as I once was. Now, I simply seek for solutions to the problems. I have noticed a positive change in the behavior of my work colleagues as well.

Christopher,
First I would like to congratulate you on your ability to solve your stress issue. You have begun to build a balance in your life with exercise, mental rejuvenation with reading and your studies. The only areas you may be already attending too are healthy living and spiritual rejuvenation. Good for you!!

Dr. Gary Carlson

Some ways that I've personally dealt with workplace stress is to stop, breathe, evaluate while sometimes asking "Lord give me strengh and guide me in handling the stressor" silently of course, and sometimes it may be a pep talk to myself or a coworkers input my help.

Arlinda,
Your approach is admirable. Each of us need a balance in our lives to deal with stress. The balance consists of good health habits, exercise, mental leisure activity and spiritual rejuvenation.

Dr. Gary Carlson

I have a habit of internalizing everything. I want and need to eliminating the stinking thinking of this and I need to use stress relivers of this module. The stop breathe reflect and choose is going to be a real help for me. Instead of trying to do everything myself I started to distribute the work load among my team so I can concentrate on other things. This is exciting to take the notes and start practice of this new found way!

Sign In to comment