Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Thanks for sharing and for the chuckle...just reading your post brought a smile to my face and created a mental picture that I can keep in mind for those times when I need to go to my "happy place" when work gets too hectic! Thanks!

Karen,
Control is at is best is when you can contribute and make a difference.

Dr. Gary Carlson

Karen,
Control is at is best is when you can contribute and make a difference.

Dr. Gary Carlson

Judy,
You are welcome, anytime I can make someone's life a happier makes my day happy.

Dr. Gary Carlson

Left work and forgot about it until the next day.
Went and hit a few golf balls and tried to smash the heck out of them! That took the edge off.

I know what you mean William, Having a major Corporate wide workplace reduction in two days is ramping up the stress level here at my work. Everyone is on edge. It may be time for a couple of Ritas after work tonight! Stop Breathe Relax with a cold one! I can't change the outcome.

Thomas,
Stress is at all levels. The best practice to reduce stress is how we construct our lives in a proactive manner. Each of us must have a healthy balance in our life. Using mental challenges we enjoy, healthy life styles, physical activity and spiritual rejuvenation helps us to prepare for up coming events.

Dr. Gary Carlson

Thomas,
So much in our life outcomes are directed by a positive attitude and faith. Over the years I have experienced some of the challenges you have mentioned and more but honestly in time and in faith it turned out ok. Have faith in yourself.

Dr. Gary Carlson

Try to take it easy and do not worry about for all things, One cannot solve all problems. Without you and me, the world and activities will continue, do not just suffer from too much stress.

Shafi,
To many times stress comes from actions you have no control over. Our day to day is made up spending to much time on those types of issues. Keep your challenges in perspective so we can achieve at a high level for the task you are being measured on for performance. Your commitment, dedication and best practices will keep you on track.

Dr. Gary Carlson

Working as an instructor of Massage Therapy, I tend to use meditation or simple visualization exercises to combat high stress days. Deep breathing helps, as well. A mere 5 minutes or so of stepping out of the environment to relax can be extremely motivating to continue with the day.

Nicole,
Good for you in knowing what works for you. Remember to have a balanced life with leisure mental acitivity, exercise, healthy lifestyle and spiritual rejuvenation.

Dr. Gary Carlson

Nicole,
Good for you in knowing what works for you. Remember to have a balanced life with leisure mental acitivity, exercise, healthy lifestyle and spiritual rejuvenation.

Dr. Gary Carlson

Definitely physical exercise. Racquetball is a great stress reliever. Also, Wii Fit- the boxing portion. When possible, I take vacation or personal days to re-charge.

Crystal,
Get aways work if you can leave your work at home. The balance of your life with exercise, healthy living, mental activity and spiritual rejuvenation is the key.

Dr. Gary Carlson

Things that have helped me include daily exercise, martial arts training, and leaving the worries of the job at the office.

shawn,
You have come up with great uses of your activities. Always be consistent with what works for you. A balance in your life of activity always helps to combat workplace stress.

Dr. Gary Carlson

I am not very good at it myself, but to help others, I have given projects that are easily completed. But these projects are from concept to completion for the employee. They then have a full sense of buy in, and control of that particular project and feel that they are contributing to the work load of the company. Of course, sometimes, they simply have others do their work, which tends to lead to toxic stress, and they start to attack others for their poor job performance. Dealing with that, is very difficult when the employee has been there a very long time, sometimes even longer that I have. But support from my supervisors is the key in that situation.

Jerome,
Good leaders know the capabilities of their employees. We sometimes give tough assignments to our employees and it may stretch them. Even at being a difficult task we internally believe they can do the project. If there is doubt in your mind you have given a task to someone who is not capable we have put them in harms way.

Dr. Gary Carlson

I will go for a quick walk outside when under heavy stress--rain, sun, snow, or sleet. Fresh air helps me relax a lot. One of my biggest problems is I try to crank out work nonstop all day and don't give myself a break to eat and rest. If I'm hungry and dehydrated then even the slightest little issue can send me into a mental meltdown.

Sign In to comment