Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

I have several time-wasters. The worst one in my personal time was Facebook. I resolved (for the most part) my 'addiction' by deactivating my account for two weeks. I found after that period that I know longer needed to check it every hour or two. As for work-related time-wasters, it has to be research. As an instructor, I am constantly researching but often times find myself focusing on the tangents rather than the original area that I intended to study. So then most of the material that I've just spent hours pouring through isn't directly related to whatever it is I'm discussing in class.

Thanks, Debra. Lots of folks have issues with social media. Turning off access and reminders except for during short, planned times during the day seems helpful to a lot of people.

Mitch,

I do not think the "visit" is the issue. I think the issue is what happend during the visit. I make it a point to visit most, if not all, of the other managers every day to make sure we are aware of what each of us is doing. If I am not careful, we could slip into time-wasting activities during these visits.

FACEBOOK! I am a procrastinator. However, I do get my work done, on time and complete... I'm not sure that I will ever stop my time-wasting with facebook because it cleanses my mind and allows me to reload to tackle my next task.

By far most time wasted is in the form of emails, particularly when these communications are in the form of a CC or BCC. More often than not these emails consume a lot of time, are not directly related to personal tasks at hand and can take away one's attention and focus. To this extent, I have asked many peers to avoid copying me with these kinds of emails unless they are pertinent or directly related to my department, also insisting on an urgency title in the subject title.

One of my personal time-wasters would be spending too much time on e-mails and social networks. I could find myself sometimes taking 3 or 4 hours. To minimize wasting time I have set up a schedule, that when I am at home I do not spend spend more then one hour in a social network and prioritize my e-mails and only spend more then one hour a day on my personal e-mails.

Thanks, Amy.

A lot of folks name social media sites as their biggest time wasters. The nmost effective strategy I know of is to keep the sites closed until you have a few minutes to look at them when you are having a beverage and recharging.

Those who feel they have to be plugged in constantly and respond immediately tend to be the most adversely impacted by social media sites.

Wow! good comments - similar situations. I too have drive-bys, drop-ins, STOMP-ins, emails dings become rhythm rather than alert-sometime I just tap my foot to melody rather than answer . To get things done I keep track -(Sesame St "Count") As Countess I time and mark things. What I don’t do is have system for concluding visits. I plan to post “Daily Activity Log Chart”, (at first I considered “Time Wasters Chart” but had rational moment) then WRITE Initials-and time in/out. Maybe get chime clock to mark each 15 min. I don’t leave office to drop-in without clipboard with items to ask and return with comments noted. (Then I put in pile :-). pj

Most of my wasted time comes from having to attend meetings that have nothing to do with my department but I am assured it pertains to the company as a whole and we all should be there. If we could get the upper management to understand that we all do not need to sit for hours on end, it could take something like an e-mail update and we would be good to go.

This is exactly what we go through here. It is bad enough to have so many meetings in a day but then we meet and go over what we are going to go over later in the day. Then we get others involved and go over it again. And if that’s not bad enough we will get off track and go into another topic as soon as someone comes into the office just to stop by.
Time wasters I am not sure there is a way to control or to plan for these when you are not the one making and demanding the meetings all day.

One way for me is to not stop by other offices and ask the question how is everything. I could go straight to my office and start work and let others come to me when they are in need. I am not sure that I have let go of some of the responsibilities or ownership to my department managers, I still feel that I have to be in on every move my department makes.

The biggest time-wasters are from staff and students with unscheduled interruptions, hanging out or talking on cell phones within close proximity of the office. It makes it difficult to focus and complete assignments. We have been closing the office door more often with a sign to let them know we are avaiable, and it has reduced the distractions.

My time-waster is a disorganized system for processing email. I get close to 150-175 per day and I don't take the necessary step to file or delete emails I no longer need to work through. This clogs up my in-box and makes me waste time finding the emails I still need to follow up on. In the future, I will process emails using the system outlined in the training to know what I need to work on without hunting for it.

Thanks, Richard.

Many folks have trouble delegating when they have responsibility for results. The key is to ensure your managers know what you need done, how to do it and that they can come to you for assistance if they need it. They also need to know you trust them to make decisions and take action in their areas of responsibility.

This is a tough one. You'll want to be as prepared as you can for the important meetings to help keep everyone on pace. You may even want to suggest to your boss that planning and conducting meetings could be delegated. Volunteer to be the first to help out. You may be able to impact the dynamics.

Teresa,

This is not an uncommon issue. It may be worth it to create a "no cell phone zone" in the hallways near offices and explain why they need to go elsewhere in the building to make calls.

The staff needs to adhere to the same rules as the students in these places.

How have the students reacted to the dorr closing?

That is mine as well. I feel like I don't have enough time to even do a to do list and prioritize my tasks.

Every time i stop by my bosses office to ask a quick question she always seems to keep me there for about 10-15 minutes.

Amanda,

I know what a challenge that is. I have had bosses like that and, to be honest, I can be a boss like that.

It does not work all the time, but email may be a good solution for the questions to which you do not need an immediate reply. Another idea is to bank your questions and bring them to your boss in bunches.

It is even tougher when ypour boss visits you and hangs out.

Mine is scheduling all of my tasks for the day and not providing adequate time for unexpected issues. Those tasks then overflow and eat in to time for other work.

In the future, I'm going to make sure I budget extra time for unexpected interruptions.

Sign In to comment